Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 1:57 am
Hello everyone! If you have been here for a while, you know the original drawing of the Affondatore has been outdated for quite a bit. It was good for its time, but I believe that it was time for this influential and important ship to get a redo, and I took it upon myself to do so. This has been my project for several months now, and any comments and questions are welcome! I thank the discord for helping me immensely with this project, and especially to reytuerto, who provided me with excellent references for all versions of the ships.

[ img ]
-As launched in 1865 by Millwall in London, England.

[ img ]
Refitted in 1873, removing the sailing rig and replacing it with a single military pole mast, as well as the addition of a small superstructure with a conning tower forward of the funnels, while retaining the aft deckhouse and platform from the original ship.

[ img ]
Refitted in 1885 to an armored cruiser, including the building of an entire deck onto the original one, with the addition of 6 x 4.7-inch secondary guns, the replacement of the original turrets and guns with 10-inch rifled breech-loaders, the building of an entirely new bridge on the new deck/casemate, and the fitting of military masts and boat handling gear. Additional anti torpedo boat guns were fitted atop the main battery turrets. Several years later in 1891, she was given 2 torpedo tubes and converted to a torpedo training ship. She was decommissioned and scrapped before World War One.

[ img ]
In the Regia Marina's Victorian-era livery, circa 1885.

-As I said before, any feedback is welcome!

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 9:48 am
I'm no expert on Italian vessels of this era, but the drawings look pretty good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 10:00 am
Good work.
Affondatore was indeed one of those drawings in the Archive that were in most desperate need for a redraw (being one of the oldest drawings there) and it's great that someone finally made it. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 3:01 pm
Well done, very well done! In fact, better than the originals!

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 4th, 2018, 6:22 pm
Great drawings!!!

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 5th, 2018, 1:34 am
Thanks everyone!

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Bordkanone 75
Post subject: Re: Italian Ironclad AffondatorePosted: February 5th, 2018, 2:05 am
Excellent work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: