Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Jonatan15
Post subject: Illyrian Lemboï/Lembos/Lembus GalleyPosted: June 30th, 2018, 12:13 am
I've been doing a particular research and I did find an article about the Illyrians, became interested and researched a bit more about them. Reading Wikipedia I found some information about their navy, I researched some image to use as a reference then i made a drawing.
[ img ]
The lembos (from Greek: λέμβος, "boat", romanized as lembus) was an ancient Illyrian warship, with a single bank of oars and no sails. It was small and light, with a low freeboard. It was a fast and maneuverable warship capable of carrying 50 men in addition to the rowers. It was most commonly associated with the vessels used by the Illyrian tribes, chiefly for piracy, in the area of Dalmatia. This type of craft was also adopted by Philip V of Macedon during the First Macedonian War, and soon after by the Seleucids, Rome, and even the Spartan king Nabis in his attempt to rebuild the Spartan navy.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyrian_warfare#Lembus)
The Lembo were also quoted by all Greek writers since the 5th century as small boats only rowing, sometimes up to more than 18 rowers. They were only bridged at the extremities, very fast, 12 to 18 meters long and 3 to 4 wide. The number of oars ranged from 16 to 50, they could be one- or double-banked, and some types did not have a ram, presumably being used as couriers and fast cargo vessels.

- Rework my First Design
- Await the Winged Hussars Arrive

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Illyrian Lemboï/Lembos/Lembus GalleyPosted: June 30th, 2018, 2:30 am
Interesting, and maybe the oldest Shipbucket representation I can remember. Arguably more fit for FD scale ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Jonatan15
Post subject: Re: Illyrian Lemboï/Lembos/Lembus GalleyPosted: June 30th, 2018, 2:36 am
erik_t wrote: *
Interesting, and maybe the oldest Shipbucket representation I can remember. Arguably more fit for FD scale ;)
Yeah, It would Fit more in FD, i'm going to do it another day. They belive that this kind of ship appear circa 800 B.C. But i think that someone did an Egyptian vessel that's older

- Rework my First Design
- Await the Winged Hussars Arrive

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Illyrian Lemboï/Lembos/Lembus GalleyPosted: June 30th, 2018, 8:10 am
A very interesting addition and nicely drawn but I too would love to see an FD scale version, I'm sure the extra detailing that is possible with a bigger scale would look great.
There was an Egyptian reed craft, so this indeed is the second oldest SB ship and the oldest wooden hull we have.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Illyrian Lemboï/Lembos/Lembus GalleyPosted: July 1st, 2018, 8:09 am
Excellent addition of the very underrepresented (in the Archive) variety.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: