Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: July 10th, 2019, 10:34 pm
Amazing work, as always, my friend!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: July 18th, 2019, 10:20 pm
The entire of the Florida class drawings have been updated. Colombamike is itching for the 1940s Utah, but that one is of a low priority right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: July 18th, 2019, 10:35 pm
Hey Karle94, would it be possible that when you are posting a new update that you could post it to the first page as you do, AND, post it in the update post (as the Florida class above) so that we don't have to scroll through all of the drawings to find the updated ones?

The work you are doing is very good.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: July 19th, 2019, 7:12 am
Awesome work!

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: August 27th, 2019, 11:24 pm
I did some tweaks to the Wyoming in 1912 and added the Wyoming in 1916

Wyoming in 1912
[ img ]

Wyoming in 1916
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: August 28th, 2019, 12:23 am
As always, very nice work! Question: Does this replace the old 1915 version you did previously?

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: August 28th, 2019, 12:37 am
I'm not 100% sure the 36" searchlights used on the old dreadnoughts were the exact same type as used on the wartime USN ships. You should look into that in more detail -- I think there was a different model in use but unfortunately I don't have the specifics.

On USS New York's 1930s version, are you sure Mark 27 directors were on the bridge wings? This was a surface gunfire control director that was only mounted on the Portland class cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: August 28th, 2019, 11:56 am
Whilst I can't quite name the exact mark based purely on images, it does look right. Same shape and size. As for it's position, yes it is correct. It's not a bridge wing, though. It's a large platform made specifically for the directors mounted behind the actual bridge. The New York, Wyoming and Arkansas all had small, more rounded platforms added to the side of the pilot houses that acted as bridge wings.

As for the searchlights, I also don't know what model it is, I know they are quite big, and the ones I've used are the only ones made that is not the smaller model.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: August 28th, 2019, 12:19 pm
Dude, do some research... a good reference for the dreadnoughts and the fire control equipment aboard is "Naval Firepower: Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era" by Friedman. You can get it on Amazon in kindle version for $9. It probably answers the questions about what director is in that position on the New York class. I'm sure the actual position of the director is correct but it's important to figure out the exact mark/mod vs. just cutting and pasting something I drew that "looks similar"...

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: American Dreadnoughts - ReduxPosted: November 18th, 2020, 8:41 am
Here is the first appearance of the Tennessee class. Based upon my recent USS Washington drawing, I've made the neccessary changes to turn that drawing into the Tennessee as commissioned in 1920. Those changes are ofcourse replacing the 16" twins with 14" triples, removing the mast off of the fore spotting top, changing the shape of the ventilation tower on the side of the fore superstructure and adding one more 5" gun mounted above the first of the rear casemate 5" guns. The Tennessee also had only three windows on the side of the pilot house.

USS Tennessee as commissioned in 1920:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: