Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Karle94
Post subject: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 26th, 2019, 11:28 pm
Since I've been doing some of the smaller and more obscure dreadboughts, here's another one.

Spain wanted to hitch a ride on the whole dreadnought thing. Why not? Everybody else did. Differense is, Spain could afford it. The Spanish government ordered three battleships from Britain; the España, the Alfonso XIII, and the Jaime I. At 140 meters, they were only 3 meters longer than the South Carolina class, and a couple of thousand tons lighter, making them the smallest dreadnought-type battleship ever built. The three ships were armed with 8x12 inch guns in four twin turrets, two amidships en-echelon. They also featured a slew of 76mm casemated secondaries. They were also among the slowest, hardly a knot faster than the South Carolina class. Because they were so small, and light, chances of modernisation and improvements were none-existant.

España was lost when she ran aground in 1923. Severe storms broke the wreck before any salvage operations could be carried.
Alfonso hit a mine in 1937 and sank.
Jaime was wrecked when an explosion happened in 1937. The ship was written off in 1939.

España as she appeared in 1913:
[ img ]

España as she appeared in 1923:
[ img ]

Jaime I as she appeared in 1937:
[ img ]

España (Alfonso XII) as she appeared in 1937:
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on August 19th, 2022, 10:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 5:04 am
Very nice work, Karle, as always! One question: should the propellers be that small, though?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 7:11 am
All the sources I've found suggests so. I guess that is why she has four instead of two propellers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 9:24 am
Nicely done.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 4:53 pm
nice drawing.

The only one I could find with slightly larger propeller.

[ img ]

I think the reason the propeller look small on those drawings, might coming from that the propeller might be a 3 bladder. in some situation a 3 bladder can look smaller then what it is

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Seeing as they only ever show two blades, a three bladed propeller is likely.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Surely this must be one of the smallest-superstructure steel warships ever built. By volume ratio, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Whiskey missile submarine conversions had larger sails!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 6:11 pm
This is not a ship with guns, but guns with a ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm
Wonderful work, some of your best yet.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: España Class: Worlds Smallest DreadnoughtPosted: March 28th, 2019, 4:31 am
Yeah Its a nice drawing indeed. I can check if there is better linedrawing in one of the spanish books I have on the class after I get back home from work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: