You want a real ship - here's a real ship: HMS Rodney, Slayer of the Bismarck
As commissioned 1928, still without the planned octuple pompoms, carrying eight single pompoms instead:
In 1930, a HA director was installed on top of the tower mast and the tactical rangefinder was relocated to the aft side of the tower mast:
By 1936, the octuple pompoms were available, and two were installed abreast the funnel. The old HA rangefinders located there were deleted. The ships also received a catapult on the third turret, a heavy crane on the port side (behind the tower mast) and two quad 12,7mm AAMGs on platforms at the tower mast's sides. The bridge was reconstructed and the forward searchlights were deleted.
In 1938, a third octuple pompom was installed dead aft. That same year, Rodney became the first RN battleship to be fitted with radar, a twin type 79Y set on a newly erected pole mast forward and on top of the main mast, which was shortened somewhat. Two more 12,7mm quads were mounted on platforms at the mainmast.
In 1940, the Type 79Y was replaced by the more advanced Type 271 radar (using the same antenna). She also received her first two Oerlikons, side by side atop turret B. In this shape, she went to battle against the Bismarck.
After that engagement, Rodney went to the USA for refit. By September 1941, she boasted another three octuple pompoms, two aft side by side between mainmast and aft main director, displacing two secondary directors previously mounted there. The third one was mounted on Turret B (sources differ on that one; it might also have been a quad pompom rather than an octuple one). The Oerlikons were relocated to the base of the tower mast. The radar fit was totally revamped; she received a Type 271 (Lantern) on the mainmast starfish, a twin Type 281 on both masttops (replacing the Type 279) and a Type 284 main artillery FC set at the forward main director. Rodney joined Force H after this refit after having belonged to the Atlantic and Home fleets for her entire life, hence the lighter shade of grey.
During 1942, the Type 271 lantern was replaced by a larger and more effective Type 272 set. The HACS was replaced by a more modern unit with a Type 285 HA fire control radar. The foremast was lengthened to the same height as the mainmast. A total of six Type 282 pompom director radars were installed (four at the mainmast, two at the tower mast); four of these sets replaced the 12,7mm AAMGs, which were landed. Two Type 283 barrage directors were installed aft (on the centerline on both sides of the aft main director). The AAMGs were replaced by a total of 21 Oerlikons by year's end 1942. The whole ship was painted in an elaborate four-colour (at least) camouflage scheme. Sources differ considerably on the exact colours; I used colours from other contemporary RN ships in the bucket which come closest to the colour table floating around on the www.
Rodney did not receive another major refit during the war. During 1943, catapult, planes and crane were landed and the number of Oerlikons was increased to 55. The 120mm AA guns received shields and a Type 650 anti-missile jammer was installed. According to one source, Rodney still wore her camo paintjob when she provided fire support during operation Overlord in June 1944 (would have been a sin to paint that one over...).
By fall 1944, Rodney was reduced to harbour service because her hull had deteriorated and she was not given any priority for the long overdue total overhaul. She was unceremoniously scrapped in 1948.