Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: September 24th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Yqueleden wrote: *
Spain. A-71 Juan Sebastián Elcano

[ img ]

The Juan Sebastián Elcano (A-71) is the school ship of the Spanish Navy. Was built between 1925 and 1928 in Cadiz (Spain) and since then it has performed a training cruise every year with the cadets of the Naval Academy. It has a barquentine rig, mixed propulsion and exhausts the fumes through a hollow mast.

Is named after the first navigator to circumnavigate the world. The coat of arms, which is that of the Elcano family, bears the words "PRIMUS CIRCUNDEISTI ME".

A second unit, the Esmeralda, was acquired by the Chilean Navy.

Greetings,
Very nice drawing, but may I make two remarks?

First, I think the flag and its pole at the stern of a ship do not count for its overall length, right? So, to give a correct perspective of the real length of the ship I would suggest changing a bit the scale at the top to match the perpendicular of the ship's stern.

Second, and thinking now in practical terms, how can the ship change board if the sail's booms are longer than the space between masts?

I hope you agree with me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: October 27th, 2020, 9:27 am
Galleon Santiago de Oliste

[ img ]

A picture by my friend Andrés López, which I turned into SB, based on paintings of the time: the galleon Santiago de Oliste, flagship of Admiral Oquendo in the Battle of Pernambuco (or Abrojos) in 1631.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: October 29th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Excellent!

[Profile] [Quote]
Kangaeru Kitsune
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: November 2nd, 2020, 5:46 am
O, the ship is adorned with the gold of El Dorado! Nice job man!

And I can see a blue string on the mainmast...

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: December 4th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Jabeque (xebec) Gitano (1750)

[ img ]

After a long hiatus, another sailing ship of the Spanish Navy. I apologize for my poor English.

The xebecs were small vessels (about 100 - 200 tons) used by the Barbary corsairs to attack shipping and coastal towns. They were very seaworthy, fast and maneuverable, and usually had three masts with lateen sails to take advantage of shifting winds. They were armed with light cannons (four pounders) and had a large crew.

Antonio Barceló, a Mallorcan sailor who had a xebec dedicated to commerce, successfully defeated the pirate xebecs. After beating two Algerian galleots in 1738, was admitted to the Royal Navy as a frigate ensign. In 1748 was commissioned to lead a flotilla of xebecs, with so successful results that the Navy ordered several xebecs for surveillance. The Gitano of 1750 was one of a series of four light xebecs, of 250 tons, and was Barceló's flagship on several occasions. Later there were mediums (400 tons) and heavies (up to 680 tons) , almost comparable to frigates, faster but less armed.

Barceló was promoted further. For the Great Siege of Gibraltar in 1779 designed armored gunboats (not to be confused with the ill-fated floating batteries) that were a great success. For his performance he be-came a lieutenant general (equivalent to three-star admiral). In 1784 led a bombardment of Algiers in which combined gunboats, xebecs and ships, forcing the bey to ask for peace. After leading more actions against the corsairs, he passed away in 1797, at the age of eighty.

The drawing derived from a mail stamp, blueprints and models exhibied at the Naval Museum in Madrid.

Greetings

Last edited by Yqueleden on December 5th, 2022, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: December 4th, 2022, 6:54 pm
Splendid addtion, and great to see You back with new work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: January 9th, 2023, 3:02 pm
Steam paddle gunboat "Hernán Cortés" (1856)

[ img ]

The "Hernán Cortés" was a paddle steam gunboat , wooden hulled, and was commissioned along with her sister ship "Vasco Núñez de Balboa" in 1856 and operated in Cuba. She was decommissioned in 1884.

Greetings

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: January 9th, 2023, 9:09 pm
Nice addition. Keep up the good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: January 10th, 2023, 9:18 am
A very nice addition.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: Sailships of the Armada EspañolaPosted: January 27th, 2023, 11:54 am
Yqueleden wrote: *
Spain. A-71 Juan Sebastián Elcano

[ img ]

The Juan Sebastián Elcano (A-71) is the school ship of the Spanish Navy. Was built between 1925 and 1928 in Cadiz (Spain) and since then it has performed a training cruise every year with the cadets of the Naval Academy. It has a barquentine rig, mixed propulsion and exhausts the fumes through a hollow mast.

Is named after the first navigator to circumnavigate the world. The coat of arms, which is that of the Elcano family, bears the words "PRIMUS CIRCUNDEISTI ME".

A second unit, the Esmeralda, was acquired by the Chilean Navy.

Greetings,
Crazy Awesome!!! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: