now, continuing with the Ex Tsarist warships that continued their career untill World War II:
Turunmaa and Karjala were part of small multipurpose ships that Russians build in large series in several shipyards and into several designs, that propably deserves lot more attention, had most of their actuall careers been so short. The first series of 340 ton ships build in Crichton Vulcan yards at Turku consisted four vessels, of which two served in Finnish navy, after been sized by the Whites during the civil war, and they never entered Russian navies. Two other ships ended up in Poland. They were universally descriped as poor seaboats with underpowered machinery and poor seakeeping. Still both served untill the Post war Minesweeping period was over and were laid up in 1951. During WWII, both took heavy punishment in various occasions, but were always repaired.
M.1, and later Louhi was Minelayer with also rather mediocore performance, and was more of Auxillary nature, and thus served most of its time as Depot and training ship. During the WWII, she was actively used as minelayer and She sunk in january 1945 after hitting mine outside Hanko.
Rautu and Vilppula were pair of Minesweepers of the Udarnik class, closely following the legendary Fugas class. They also were notorius of their poor engine output and bad seakeeping, but remained in Finnish service for the WWII, despite mostly used as depot ships or simply moothballed in reserve during the 20's and 30's. Vilppula was sunk in 1944 by Soviet Bomber in Porkkala and Rautu was decommisioned after the Post War minesweeping campaing in 1952, serving as depot and supply ships for smaller boats.
Pommi presents here group of small minelayers that Russians left in Finland in 1918. Pommi and Miina were of bigger subgroup and rest 3 were smaller (ill hope to return to them, once I find more source material). They mostly survived WWII and last were decommisioned in 1952
Last (for this round), but not least, the A-class, or as the series of small motorboats of Russian Imperial Fleet were called, after they had been gathered into service in Finnish navy. About 70 of such vessels were taken over in 1918, but after the 1920 Treaty, only 23 remained. Most of them made it to the WWII, serving as auxillary minesweepers and liason and dispatch boats, and two even served during the Minesweeping period, but only for the first 1944-1945 season.
Coming next: L/M Moskva, some research ships, pr.26bis, Pr.1144 remakes and Project 1143 complete redux.
Shipbucket mainsite, aka "The Archive"
Submit your drawings to the archive here
Novgorod AU wiki