Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
DrAaronLarsen
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 9th, 2011, 5:07 am
Novice wrote:
The two French Never Built designs with the Quadruple 13.4" gun turrets
The second design was for a battlecruiser the Normandie, and one of this class was completed as the carrier Bearn.
My understanding is that the Normandie was actually a battleship design and that a different battlecruiser was originally planned, generally known only as the "1913 Battlecruiser" since its design was not yet finalized. Bob Henneman's "All the World's Battlecruisers" site has a brief description and rough schematics of three different proposals for the "1913 CC" design, one with 12x13.4" and two with an 8x13.4" Main Armament. Here's the site's address if you want to check it out yourself. So the good news is that here's three more designs for y'all to divide up...

http://www.bobhenneman.info/Francehome.htm

Btw, If you guys are going to keep working on French designs, I'd really love to see a Gascogne and at least one of the Alsace options... not to mention at least one of the French CA designs added... Yes, it's great to see the French Shipbucket fleet filling out!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:16 pm
DrAaronLarsen wrote:
Btw, If you guys are going to keep working on French designs, I'd really love to see a Gascogne and at least one of the Alsace options... not to mention at least one of the French CA designs added... Yes, it's great to see the French Shipbucket fleet filling out!
French CA are on my list, as well as the Bernard Gille design Here
The Gascogne and other manifestations of the Richelieu, are IIRC in the Never Built section, either in this forum, or main site, or even the old Invisionfree site.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
DrAaronLarsen
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 10th, 2011, 12:34 am
Novice wrote:
DrAaronLarsen wrote:
French CA are on my list, as well as the Bernard Gille design Here
The Gascogne and other manifestations of the Richelieu, are IIRC in the Never Built section, either in this forum, or main site, or even the old Invisionfree site.
Hmm... I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm not seeing either Gascogne or Alsace. What's more, there were three different proposals for Alsace, so surely there's one there you could work on that no one else is...

(They were:
1. 40,000 t & 9x15"
2. 42,000 t & 9x16"
3. 45,000 t & 12x15"

Personally, I think that the 12x15" version was the most intriguing, though the last I heard it seemed that the less-ambitious 9x15" version might have been chosen...)

In any case, I am happy to hear you're planning on tackling some French CA's, and agree that they should take priority over an Alsace; if it were up to me, I'd say do the real designs first, THEN get to the never-built ones... (and personally, I wish the alternate universe ones took yet a third priority after the actually-planned never-built ones... but that's just me...)

In any case, keep up the good work! It's great to see the Marine Nationale's Shipbucket fleet getting built!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 10th, 2011, 9:52 am
[quote="DrAaronLarsen](In any case, I am happy to hear you're planning on tackling some French CA's, and agree that they should take priority over an Alsace; if it were up to me, I'd say do the real designs first, THEN get to the never-built ones... (and personally, I wish the alternate universe ones took yet a third priority after the actually-planned never-built ones... but that's just me...)

In any case, keep up the good work! It's great to see the Marine Nationale's Shipbucket fleet getting built![/quote]
I personally think that Real Life and Never Built should have priority, as well.
I might have been mistaken as regards the Alsace, but if memory serves, there was a drawing of Gascogne floating around Shipbucket.
French ships were poorly represented when i joined Shipbucket, and so I've decided to make some French ships along with the RN WW2 ships.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 10th, 2011, 4:27 pm
DrAaronLarsen wrote:
Hmm... I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm not seeing either Gascogne or Alsace. What's more, there were three different proposals for Alsace, so surely there's one there you could work on that no one else is...

They were:
1. 40,000 t & 9x15"
2. 42,000 t & 9x16"
3. 45,000 t & 12x15"

Personally, I think that the 12x15" version was the most intriguing, though the last I heard it seemed that the less-ambitious 9x15" version might have been chosen...)
Up until recently it's been assumed that the largest design would be built as the quad 15-inch turret was in production whereas neither the 16-inch gun nor a triple turret existed. However, according to FRENCH BATTLESHIPS the French Navy had chosen the smallest design, mostly as a new caliber was not desired. Supposidly help was to be sought from the UK for designing a triple turret.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 10th, 2011, 5:03 pm
I spent most of a year working on the Richelieus that were uploaded into the archive. I completed a version of the Gascogne for the Never Built section. Here she is, if she did not make the transfer from the old forum:

[ img ]

However, based on a better reference, her superstructure is incorrect. But I won't be able to re-work her or render the Clemenceau until after I finish my deployment.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 10th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Very nice work!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 10th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Redhorse, I'm willing to wait till you finnish your deployment (it will also mean that you came back safely - and that's what counts)

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 11th, 2011, 11:02 am
I always thought she would have been the most beautiful of the group with fore and aft turrets.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: French BattleshipsPosted: February 11th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Check my worklist
http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=638

French:
Battleships, Courbet,Paris,Alsace(Never build-All type's? Dont know for sure)
-Maby some other Never build's, come up with idea's i might say!

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: