Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 10  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 2:05 pm
Nice design!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 4:27 pm
About the probable hangar, I partially - at least - agree with ace. There ought to be rails, that would be laid on the outboard side of either catapults, past the boat stowage amidships and then snaking inwards towards the possible hangar doors/shutters.
The Gourdon-Leseur 813 could, in applicable cases be fitted with folding or collapsible wings, and its kerb-weight on a roller carriage would probably not have been too much for a limited crew of pushers and pullers to handle manually.
Yes, it'd be awfully laborious and time-consuming, in many ways, but then, so was the handling of the Suffren's planes too; in fact on most of the Treaty cruisers that France designed.

I propose that the French design study should be regarded as an incomplete one, as was the case with so many other design studies in other navies, so the artist should have the right to artistic licensing to add any necessary cranes/ hoists and/or booms to facilitate a better aircraft handling. That's what I would do, if I were the artist.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 7:53 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I propose that the French design study should be regarded as an incomplete one, as was the case with so many other design studies in other navies, so the artist should have the right to artistic licensing to add any necessary cranes/ hoists and/or booms to facilitate a better aircraft handling. That's what I would do, if I were the artist.
I agree, every drawing I've seen of this ship is crude and lacking in detail. I truly suspect it was just a design study and was never really fleshed out. The armor on this design was paper-thin which leads me to believe it was not a serious design but just a starting point...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 8:23 pm
Interesting work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 8:34 pm
eltf177 wrote:
I agree, every drawing I've seen of this ship is crude and lacking in detail. I truly suspect it was just a design study and was never really fleshed out. The armor on this design was paper-thin which leads me to believe it was not a serious design but just a starting point...
:lol:
The drawings that YOU have seen, this does not mean that you have seen ALL existing drawings :roll: :lol: .
Before criticizing, you need to know
Severals DETAILED PLANS for the 2 majors variants of the 37000 tons battlecruiser designs make it clear that these were more than just "preliminary sketches", during late 1920s, the French Naval staff clearly felt the need to be in a position to procedd quickly with orders for the ships should be political situation demand it....

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 8:43 pm
Perhaps you could stop being an annoying little cretin for once and actually be pleasant and helpful to people who are genuinely interested in the subject at hand?

If you have magical sketches that elaborate upon the points raised why don't actually be useful and show them people so that they can better understand rather than trying to visualise something out of thin air?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 11:27 pm
Mike, you baffle me, you truly do!

You must know that every navy with such capabilities, did prepare design studies in various stages of detailing and in-depth thought? The French navy also did so.
You're almost taking any critique offered as a personal smiting of yourself, which evidently they are not.

So, this one most apparently was such a study. End of that discussion. Nothing unusual, nothing remarkable about that! It was as normal as it could be. Why don't we continue in a more civil tone the discussion?

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 11:58 pm
Excellent drawings!! To the more knowledgeable members here, why did the French use the four-gun turrets so much? Was it to save costs or weight?

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 1:27 pm
Colombamike wrote:
The drawings that YOU have seen, this does not mean that you have seen ALL existing drawings.
I never said I had, but I would have believed that FRENCH BATTLESHIPS would have included detailed drawings if such existed. But it didn't.

Thanks for pointing this out, so how about posting some of these detailed drawings which you obviously have for those of us who've never seen them.

Thank you.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: French 1926-1931 capital-ships studiesPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 3:30 pm
" FRENCH BATTLESHIPS would have included detailed drawings if such existed. But it didn't."
But John Jordan did write an article on the French 37000tonnes battlecruiser designs in Warship 2011 (pp64 - 79) in which he discusses not only the ships but the surviving plans and the deductions made from "a closer and more exhaustive study of the original plans ...[there] published for the first time, together with an explanation of how they were created and an extended analysis of the design and capabilities of the ships depicted. The drawings that are based on the surviving plans are dated; those which are conjectural - although based on clear indications in the surviving plans - are clearly marked with an asterisk(*)"
15 pages of drawings (all marked 'copyright John Jordan' so no posting here) and discussion should keep anyone happy, but Warship 2011 has got a bit pricey even secondhand
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... p%25202011

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 10  [ 92 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »

Jump to: