In 1938 the Siamese navy ordered two light cruisers from CRDA of Trieste. This order followed the successful completion of several torpedoboats for the Thai Navy, and after requesting designs from (at least) Vickers and CRDA, the Thai Navy purchased the 2 ships from the Italian yard.
Displacement: 4,300 metric tons standard
• Total Length: 153.8 meters
• Beam: 14.47 meters
• Draught: 5.25 meters
• 3 Boilers
• 2 Parsons reduction geared steam turbine groups
Power: 45,000 shp
Top Speed: 30 knots
Armament: 6-152/53 Ansaldo 1929; 6-76/40 Vickers/Ansaldo 1917; 8-13.2 Breda 1931; 6 533mm TT
2 aircraft, one catapult
• Horizontal: 35mm
• Vertical: 60mm
The first ship, Naresuan, was laid down in Trieste on August 26, 1939. Taksin was laid down about a month later, on September 23, 1939. Work progressed until both ships were launched, and Italy requisitioned both on August 6th, 1942. The Italians redesigned the ships into a combination AA escort and fast cargo ship. Standard displacement increased to 6,000 tons, and the ships were renamed Etna and Vesuvio.
By the time of the Italian Armistice, the ships were roughly 60% completed. On the day of the armistice, the ships were sabotaged and fell into the hands of the Germans. They were recovered and scrapped postwar.
These ships resemble the Montecuccoli class of Italian cruiser, but without B turret and the aft funnel. The ship is depicted as ordered, but without aircraft. It is currently unknown what type of aircraft would have been included with the ship.