Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: January 12th, 2021, 11:47 am
Since my AU has become a treasure trove of nver built and otherwise proposed ships I've decided to finish some and post them here. This topic, if you've read the headline is for the Imperial Russian Navy. WW1 shafted a lot of navies really hard. Few as hard as the Russian navy, doubly more so the following Russian civil war. Some of the designs for the Russian navy were quite modest, such as the unfinished battleship Imperator Nikolai I, and the Borodino class of battlecuisers. Others, not so much.

First up is the Izmail, the lead ship of the Borodino class. These are quite well known among shipbucketeers, and as such do not need much backstory.
[ img ]

Folowing up is a design drawn up by Bubnov in 1914 for a battleship armed with 12x16" guns in three quadrouple turrets. Very ambitious armament, very practical ship.
[ img ]

Next up is the 1917 design for a battleship for the Black Sea. It is armed with 9x16" guns in three triple turrets. Some may recognise this as the inspiration for the Sinop in WoWs.
[ img ]

A newly finished drawing is Putilov's 1914 design for the ultimate battleship, sort of a Russian "Tillmann" battleship. It is 265m long and armed with 4 of the same quad turrets as the other Bubnov battleship.

[ img ]

Another design is a 1914 design by Putilov for a battleship armed with 12x14" guns in triple turrets in a superfiring layout, most uncommon in Russian designs.
[ img ]

I also have what I call the three "stages" of the Imperator Nikolai I. One is the original bow, looks exactly the same as the Imperatritsa Mariya class.
[ img ]

Stage 2; the rebuilt Gangut style ice-breaker bow.
[ img ]

Stage 3, the proposed alteration of a Borodino style raised focsle to reduce the amount of water shipped over the bow.
[ img ]

I also have the original Knyaz Suvorov design, not the WoWs design Garlic did.

Last edited by Karle94 on January 26th, 2021, 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
that_person
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: January 14th, 2021, 10:51 pm
Very nice! I personally like these old Russian battleships. Anyone else waiting for someone to make a Sinop out of the 1917 design?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: January 15th, 2021, 12:05 pm
I've added the three "stages" of the Nikolai and added the Putilov's 1914 design for the ultimate battleship.

Edit: I've also added the 1914 design by Putilov for a battleship armed with 12x14" guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: January 16th, 2021, 8:48 am
More Battlebarges... more!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: January 16th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Very nice work.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: August 19th, 2022, 11:06 am
Here's an update to some of the drawings:

Knyaz Suvorov as designed:
[ img ]

Nikolai as designed:
[ img ]

Nikolai as revised during construction:
[ img ]

Nikolai with proposed raised focsle:
[ img ]

Izmail as laid down:
[ img ]

1917 Black Sea Battleship:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: August 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: August 23rd, 2022, 10:12 pm
That "Knyaz Suvorov" was actually ordered and assigned that name in official Russian documents, or it's just World of Warships? :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: August 24th, 2022, 6:07 am
I've no idea honestly. I know WoWs kinda jumbled up the design to better fit the line, such as adding a Gangut bow, raising the guns to add casemates etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Russian Proposed and Never-Built Capital ShipsPosted: August 24th, 2022, 6:50 pm
So I thought... please, try to use the actual(-ish) names in the future, not WoWs fanciful stand-ins.
In this case I think it will be this one, I guess...
http://shipbucket.com/drawings/9989

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: