Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Unknown General Ferrati Quintuple/Quadruple ProposalPosted: March 10th, 2022, 6:00 pm
Presenting to you one of the, if not the, weirdest Italian ship proposal I have ever seen: the unknown proposal by General Ferrati, known for the "F" and "G" proposals. Unlike "F" and "G," this one is not even close to being conventional. This ship sports two main turrets, which have been said to mount 5 12" guns in a strange arrangement - three would be mounted at the bottom, while two would be up top. It has also been said that it would have been a more "reasonable" mount of only 4 guns, which can be seen here:

[ img ]

I did my best to model my drawing to the only image of the proposal on the internet, which is this terribly scanned page from an unknown book:

[ img ]

The armament of the ship is:

2 x Quad or quintuple mount 12" gun turrets
4 x Triple mount 4.7" guns
6 x Single mount 76mm deck guns

Her engine power and speed are unknown, same with her armour belts. I would assume this would have similar armour to a contemporary Italian BB of the time, but it may have been chosen as a battlecruiser and given better speed. We may never know!

Nevertheless, here is my interpretation (thanks to the Lord of Italian Ships, Karle94, for suggestions during the process!):

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Unknown General Ferrati Quintuple/Quadruple ProposalPosted: March 10th, 2022, 6:06 pm
That is one of the biggest WTF design

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Re: Unknown General Ferrati Quintuple/Quadruple ProposalPosted: March 10th, 2022, 6:07 pm
heuhen wrote: *
That is one of the biggest WTF design
When I saw it, I immediately knew I had to get on it before someone else did!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Unknown General Ferrati Quintuple/Quadruple ProposalPosted: March 10th, 2022, 9:26 pm
It's an interesting design, that's for certain, and you did an excellent job portraying it. However, I would not want to be a crewman on that ship; the potential for a catastrophic turret explosion would be - I imagine - fairly high.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Unknown General Ferrati Quintuple/Quadruple ProposalPosted: March 13th, 2022, 9:48 am
Utterly crazy concept, but a great drawing. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Magus
Post subject: Re: Unknown General Ferrati Quintuple/Quadruple ProposalPosted: April 13th, 2022, 12:58 am
BvonTeapot wrote: *
It has also been said that it would have been a more "reasonable" mount of only 4 guns, which can be seen here:

[ img ]
Honestly I think the 4 gun version might actually be even less reasonable than the 5 gun, simply because the guns are directly on top of each other and thus would have to elevate in unison for the lower barrels not to collide with the upper ones.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: