Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
VC_
Post subject: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 9th, 2023, 11:29 am
I decided to draw a US BB study from 1934 that really caught my eye in terms of sleek and unique looks. This is "Design 2", as shown in Friedman's US battleships, for a 31,000 ton (standard), 30 knot battleship armed with 3x3 14"/50 guns. I may eventually draw more from this series, but let's focus on this one for now.

As I was drawing this I had some conflicting ideas about how the bridge should look. In the end I produced two versions, one with a New Mexico style box, and one with a pilot house at the top level that's also more open. There are some differences in fire control director configuration and 1.1" quad positions based on the bridge layout as well.

I think both fit the original sketch (given how bare bones it is), but I'd like some feedback as to which you think is more plausible/realistic for this design in particular. Failing that, pick on aesthetics!

I plan to do some more versions, evolving into a plausible wartime fit with some camouflages, but I'd like to go ahead with only one of the bridge options so it doesn't get too messy keeping both (as it starts affecting gun tub positions etc.).

Thanks for looking and waiting to hear what you think. :)

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 9th, 2023, 7:23 pm
Very nice work! I can see where they got the idea for the reconstruction of the New Mexico-class from!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 9th, 2023, 7:28 pm
More like this design was influenced by the New Mexico.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 10th, 2023, 10:33 am
very nice drawings indeed. These projects have totally been unknown to me by now. Very interesting. What about a top view? You already have the needed b/w-sketch as I can see ;-) Are there also mentioned in the book some assumed data about the drive power? I think to achieve 30 kn for a ship of this size, which have (assumingly) a relatively bad length/width ratio, a drive power of about 145.000 - 150.000 SHP woud be needed. BTW, do you have also the data about the width of this ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 10th, 2023, 11:50 am
Thanks!

Haha, spot on with the power, book says it's 147,000 SHP. Beam is 101.5 feet.

Oof, top view? I'll think about it. The only time I tried a top view so far I never finished the drawing. I know I have the sketch but for such a fairly simple design I don't think it adds much information.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 10th, 2023, 12:14 pm
wow, I have landed a hit, not so often in my lifetime yet.

Thank you VC for providing these additional data. I am always very interested in such things. Sadly, only some handful artists here provide the technical basis data like length, width, power and so on (of course if available).

top views ar just beautiful!

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: US 1934 BB studiesPosted: February 10th, 2023, 1:40 pm
Got a small update on this design. I added tubs for the 1.1" positions and scattered a few 0.50 cals around. This then made a good canvas for some pre-war paint schemes.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: