Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
sailor82
Post subject: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 2:28 am
Below is my attempt at Canada's DDG 1960 Project that was started then cancelled in favor of the follow on Iroquois class DDH which incorporated a lot of the major design features. Eight ships were planned.

[ img ]

The below drawing is my take of what they would have (or I believe should have) looked if actually built.

[ img ]

Last edited by sailor82 on June 22nd, 2011, 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 3:23 am
Very nice and impressive! Well done! A nice complement to the real deal!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 3:43 am
The Mk 13 should be recolored with the light and dark grays you're using here, and the illuminators should be SPG-51. Otherwise, it's a fine drawing. What's represented at the top of the foremast? TACAN really ought to and/or would have ended up there.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 5:01 am
Also I do believe the original artist's concept shows an old 5/38 turret (for some reason).

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 6:39 am
klagldsf wrote:
Also I do believe the original artist's concept shows an old 5/38 turret (for some reason).
Yeas it was!

[Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 6:45 am
The flag halyards are anti aliased.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 11:17 am
Drawings have been Updated!

Yes, that's a TACAN on top of the mast. I know the artist rendering showed a 5"/38 Mk12 twin but I could not see an old WW2 gun mount being used or considered. Shokaku's drawings showed an SPS-10, SPS-12, SPS-39, plus another surface search radar. From what he posted on the old site was that his drawing was based on a concept drawing from Conways. Has anyone seen this drawing or have a copy of it?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 11:31 am
sailor82 wrote:
Drawings have been Updated!

Yes, that's a TACAN on top of the mast. I know the artist rendering showed a 5"/38 Mk12 twin but I could not see an old WW2 gun mount being used or considered. Shokaku's drawings showed an SPS-10, SPS-12, SPS-39, plus another surface search radar. From what he posted on the old site was that his drawing was based on a concept drawing from Conways. Has anyone seen this drawing or have a copy of it?
The Conways drawing? I've that book. Need a scan?

[Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 11:31 am
sailor82 wrote:
I know the artist rendering showed a 5"/38 Mk12 twin but I could not see an old WW2 gun mount being used or considered.
Actually that's not too unlikely. The Long Beach ended up with one and Danish Peder Skram class had two each. The US was giving them away for free back then and they were still in frontline service with a lot of navies including the USN, so it makes perfect sense that it would be considered.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Canadian DDG 1960 ProjectPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 11:32 am
Thiel wrote:
sailor82 wrote:
I know the artist rendering showed a 5"/38 Mk12 twin but I could not see an old WW2 gun mount being used or considered.
Actually that's not too unlikely. The Long Beach ended up with one and Danish Peder Skram class had two each. The US was giving them away for free back then and they were still in frontline service with a lot of navies including the USN, so it makes perfect sense that it would be considered.
They were in use by the USN until 1982 and some other countries much longer!

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: