Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 25th, 2011, 5:36 am
Actually, erik, what I did was studying the Counties for the placement of their quad stabilizer fins and re-calculate it for the shorter Tromp-hull, so I believe it'd be good. I did take into consideration too, the slightly narrower beam of the TRomps, so I believe I did my calcs quite right there!

Novice, no, I don't think it's your screen. It's the illusion created by the unfamiliar, much more compact and massive superstructure that makes you think it's stubbier. In fact, no dimensions have been altered hull-wise!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 25th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Well, where do you envision the gas turbines? Such tend to sit right below the uptakes in most Western practice, and you have a set of fins right below the exhausts.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 25th, 2011, 7:08 pm
erik, study the original plans for the Tromps, and you'll see that it, too, has its pair of fins where you allege my having misplaced "intrusive" fins w/equipment. But it's Christmas so I won't allow myself to be sucked into a bickering argument about this. So, Merry Christmas, erik and enjoy the ham and/or turkey!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 25th, 2011, 7:46 pm
actually, the stabiliser on the tromps is AFT of the turbines, corresponding with the aftmost stabiliser on your drawing. the other 2 just won't fit! an better idea would be to enlarge the effect of the existing ones (by reshaping or resizing) and using stabilising rudders, if you wanted to add additional stabilisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 25th, 2011, 10:31 pm
Ace, you're not quite right, since my aftermost fin is actually farther aft than the single pair of the Tromps. I can, however, agree that the midships pair might be redundant and thus can be deleted from the design. The forward ones does fit, however, and in my opinion doesn't need to be either suppressed or moved. I do agree that there's more than one possible solution to rectify this design's inherent problem of stability.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 25th, 2011, 10:39 pm
indeed, more solutions are possible, the easiest being..... well, basically the real ship, which would work much better in any case :P hence why I was against you using this basic design for the sea dart version in the first place. your solution with all those stabilisers is the most vulnerable, expensive and hard to build solution, which the dutch would never choose. you know I studied the dutch shipbuilding industry of the last 40-50 years intensely, and this is one of the conclusions I have drawn from that research.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 26th, 2011, 12:06 am
well, ace, ace, I have to admit that you do have a point there. Maybe I'll just redo the whole design, but then it beggars the question: what kind of design? One heavily influenced by the British Bristol or one more closely akin to the Type42; or something in between? Of course, it'd be a unique "Dutch" design, with that typical flattened or sheared off bow to allow maximum depression for the forward gun; excellent sea-keeping qualities would be self-evident and a sensible weapons/sensors layout. It's an interesting question, indeed. But, for now, let me slightly rework the existing one and we'll see how that'll work.
Btw, I'll be gone for two days from tomorrow, so cannot expect any updates till Wednesday or Thursady.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 26th, 2011, 12:16 am
Here's a revised edition, attempting to follow the advice given (I leave the previous one in place for comparison's sake!):

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 27th, 2011, 10:53 am
Bezo,

Could you please use the new Sea dart launcher which I've drawn for the Type 82. This one is much more accurate in shape and size than the old version you're using.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tromp-Class FFGs with Sea DartPosted: December 27th, 2011, 2:21 pm
Yes, absolutely, Hood! I didn't even think of it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: