Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Ashley
Post subject: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 12th, 2011, 8:05 am
In 19xx an article at the New York Times upset naval strategists worldwide. The 'invention' of the dreadful Torpedo Battleship! A large ship armed with torpedotubes en masse, passing the own battleship line, out of visibility but hitting ship after after ship with its damned torps. So far for the theory. Nowadays we know, it's nonsens. But the US Navy

WIP please wait some minutes

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 12th, 2011, 1:38 pm
uhh ok.

Friedman talks about this ship too, intended to become what eventually did become the Mississippi class.

[Profile] [Quote]
radagast477
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 14th, 2011, 3:30 am
Don't let the Navyfield developers know about this or else no one would win in that dreadful game.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 14th, 2011, 2:36 pm
According to a quick google search it came up and said they "only" had 8 sets of 21" tubes. Now how many tubes there were per bank might be where the "OMG Torpedo Wall" would come from?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 14th, 2011, 3:15 pm
Well even a triple would mean 12 to each side...
Or a quad gets you 16 :D
I doubt you could mount them down the centreline unfortunately.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 15th, 2011, 10:04 am
This is my very own vision of a torpedo battleship. I made a early 20s design, more a battlecruiser than a battleship. Most of you will see the 12" as disadvantage and prefer 14". You have to see at this concept the torps are #1 weapon. The 12" guns are secondairies. No casemats for 5" or 6" but open mounts for twin 5". The hull is stretched to hold the torp launcher batteries. Speed could reach 25 maybe 27 knots but no more. The long sleek hull makes it look fast but it isn't.
[ img ]
Ah yes, and I made Cuba another state of America :twisted:

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 15th, 2011, 10:18 am
I like this version, whic btw is a very good drawing, not very unrealistic as a design, but quite unrealistic as an idea. Topredoes range during this period is a few thousand meters max, so by the time it is within range of a battleship, it is also under the sea, cause it is sunk.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 15th, 2011, 12:37 pm
This is a quick&dirty drawing of the real 1912 plans. It contains dozens of pixel errs, I know.
The design shows a fast and very long ship (240 m / 790") with a very unusual set of weapons. One triple 14" turret, 16 6" in casemates, and as main weapon 12 submerged torpedotubes. I have no idea what for it should have been that large.
My first intention was 'what a crap'. But remember: These are 1912 plans. No ww1, no Jutland, nothing has happened yet. The only lessons are delivered by Tsushima and Manila. The torpedo is an awesome weapon that cannot be countered but with heavy nets. So the idea of a torpedo battleships is just connecting the two most powerful seabased weapon systems.
From todays sight this design is simply useless.
[ img ]

The plan
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... 584020.jpg

Last edited by Ashley on July 15th, 2011, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 15th, 2011, 1:04 pm
ReiAyanami wrote:
I like this version, whic btw is a very good drawing, not very unrealistic as a design, but quite unrealistic as an idea. Topredoes range during this period is a few thousand meters max, so by the time it is within range of a battleship, it is also under the sea, cause it is sunk.
Thanks.
You're right, the design is useful only if torpedoes gain a notable advantage against guns.
In reality the ship would simply get blasted away.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: US Navy considered torpedo battleshipPosted: July 15th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Very good drawings! This remember me about a Russian Torpedo cruiser, whish was crasier then this one in lay-out! Golly might know more about it.

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: