Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Spruance class never buildsPosted: November 19th, 2011, 2:18 pm
awesome. is it ok if I add them to the first post, so all is listed clearly?

[Profile] [Quote]
Cowboy40
Post subject: Re: Spruance class never buildsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 9:22 pm
I have often thought that the USN should have taken Hayler into production as a DDH, but naval aviation is always afraid of anything that can risk cutting into the super carrier program.

They successfully killed of the SCS, and advanced CVS project and any attempt the USN has made at building a DDH.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Spruance class never buildsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 9:31 pm
actually, the government thought DDH was an good idea, USN thought not. fact is, she would not have been all that useful compared to assets of the same cost but with better aviation facilities.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Spruance class never buildsPosted: August 12th, 2012, 4:19 am
I think the decision not to build LCS was basically correct. The ship's Harrier capabilities were largely met by the LHAs and would have been a diversion of resources from building the badly needed new Nimitz ships. Plus, LCS didn't fit anywhere into the USN's fleet concept. The Hayler was a Congressional boondoggle and frankly the concept was not well thought out. Adding a few more choppers to the fleet didn't equal the additional resources necessary to build a one-of-a-kind design. The USN found that out with the Norfolk just as the British did with Type 82. The Navy had plenty of destroyers and frigates with the necessary helicopter resources.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cowboy40
Post subject: Re: Spruance class never buildsPosted: August 12th, 2012, 1:23 pm
Regardless of the facts, the DDH Hayler plays out well in her role. I liked the design, but she was probably more useful as a standard DD.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: