Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Heinkel
Post subject: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 17th, 2012, 8:02 pm
[ img ]

Ok, so here goes my first attempt at a non-FD lineart that doesn't suck phallus.

It's a drawing of the Soviet P.1080 arsenal ship meant as a land-attack type. There's not much information on the web on it other than its barebones specifications that were neatly translated from Russian in here and this drawing which I based the entire thing on, leaving the possibility of me falling for another embarassing fake fully open. Given how crude the drawing is, I had to improvise a bit.

Feedback is much appreciated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:07 am
I've seen the sketches of this design, but was it ever a real proposal or just someones flight of fancy?
I'll admit that my understanding of (At the time) Soviet and later Russian naval doctrine is rather limited, but I simply can't see how this design fits into it.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Heinkel
Post subject: Re: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:47 am
Its role was for heavy land attack, which as far as my knowledge goes the Soviets didn't really have any weaponry to fill that gap as most, if not all, of their cruise missiles were either anti-ship or anti-radiation, so this could have helped with targets outside of both enveloppes provided you had good enough targetting and fired enough of them at the enemy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 18th, 2012, 7:42 am
I am not sure about the design, maybe adding some missile hatches will make the drawing look better? Now it just feels like a big gap in the middle of the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 18th, 2012, 9:24 am
Heinkel wrote:
Its role was for heavy land attack, which as far as my knowledge goes the Soviets didn't really have any weaponry to fill that gap as most, if not all, of their cruise missiles were either anti-ship or anti-radiation, so this could have helped with targets outside of both enveloppes provided you had good enough targetting and fired enough of them at the enemy.
But the thing is, did land attack even figure in Soviet naval thinking? As I understand it the point of the Red Fleets surface units was to protect the submarines (Except for the missile boats whose job it was to facilitate a breakout from the Baltic and the Black Sea)
I realize they were moving towards a more expeditionary role (Hence the move to "real" carriers), a move the Russian Navy has continued, but by the time the Cold War ended they were still entirely focused on their anti "NATO" strategy and I can't see where land attack fits into that role.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 18th, 2012, 10:33 am
A great start Heinkel. Doubtless Golly will cast his expert eye over the details. It looks a little rough in places, esp around the ships's boats, but otherwise it looks a good effort.
This was a real design and the link below will give you more info.

http://www.atrinaflot.narod.ru/84_other/0_1080.htm

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: P. 1080 Soviet Missile CruiserPosted: February 18th, 2012, 10:52 am
In some point this winter/spring I will put up a revisted partsheet of all soviet equipment so you should propably halt all progress in soviet ships before that if you don't want to rekit them too soon :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: