Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
RP1
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: All Electric DestroyerPosted: April 30th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Minor changes to aft end to bring it in line with my previous drawings.

The curved line is pretty much on the centreline, where the skeg meets the hull. This hullform is not derived from the usual model and so is not as fair as one would like, but it's not too bad. The fixipods are mounted on flat sections aft, and the keel rapidly drops to the baseline on the centreline to reduce the overhang when docking. Outboard, in line with the pods, the hull is fairer however. This means that in profile it seems unusually fat. Integration of pods into low Cb warship hulls can be a bit of a pain - broad, flat sections aft can increase the likelihood of slamming and broaching, large weights can be collected in the overhanging aft hull and the directional stability can be excessive due to the combination of the skeg - needed to support the stern when docking - and the struts. To gain any efficiency benefit from pods, they really need to be fixed, and oriented to the flow - hence the separate rudders (they might be better off integrated into the struts, but the baseline assumption was that they were separate). It's different for a high Cb merchant ship, however, as they don't have the long after runs of a warship so the flow is different.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: All Electric DestroyerPosted: April 30th, 2012, 8:14 pm
thank you RP1, for this insight on the use of pods on warships...... it gives me a lot of insights and knowledge I never heard or thought about!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: All Electric DestroyerPosted: April 30th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Thank you, RP1 for your exhaustive response. Very detailed and informative!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: