Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Hood
Post subject: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:04 pm
[ img ]
This is one of my all-time favourite postwar RN projects, probably because it was so radical for its time. I did a freelance version years ago which now looks pretty shocking so its nice to start again from scratch.
It's origins go back to 1949 as a project to combine the power of a light cruiser with the hull and powerplant of a destroyer. Ultimately it was further refined, the picture above is the Study 1 from February 1951, Study 2 had two 5in automatic guns forward and two Type 984 radars to act as a FADE, Study 3 removed the Type 984 but had all the guns forward. There were to be fixed torpedoes as well. Eventually by 1953 thoughts had moved onto a 'Super Daring' and more conventional designs. A full history can be found in Friedman's 'British Destroyers & Frigates' and 'Warship 2006'.

The armament of Study 1 is;
3x single 5in automatic guns
2x single 3in US 3in/50
1x Limbo
1x Ruler anti-torpedo rocket weapon (firing salvoes of four rockets)
I have omited the torpedo armament, there were differing layouts and requirements and the plans I've used for the Study 1 have no obvious locations. On Study 2, two sets of twins were fitted within the hull to give a broadside of eight torpedoes per side. I suspect the likely armament would have been two single 'Bidder' A/S torpedo tubes.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Wow, it's great! Very interesting design.
And I must say, that it has something very "1950s Royal Navy" in it's looks.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Great Blistering Barnacles :o This has made my day :D God bless you Hood, and may you never caught on a lee shore.

But to business, another fine example from a Shipbucket artist at the top of his talent, so no critique required; and I first did a 'double take' on the US 3-in twins, but as you say it was part of the spec. IIRC there were other variants (too lazy to get out Freidman at the moment)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Yes, this has elan.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:37 pm
Nice drawing, but there's a few pixel errors, one just in front of the bridge and one on the upper right corner of the aft deck house.
Also what type of gun(?) is that just aft of the aft director and between the bridge and the Limbo?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:39 pm
I agree Hood, that is a fantastic design, I love the elderly style bow and combination with the transom, a real sign of the transition in place then

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:56 pm
Thanks for the kind comments guys, thanks also to Bombhead for the base scan.

I've corrected those pixel errors, they happened during my pixel clean-up.

Thiel, those 'guns' are in fact rocket flare launchers for illumination of targets. Also the small director ahead of the forward MRS3 is the Type 973 splash-spotting radar, as far as I know no other design had this item and I'm sure it never got to the hardware stage. The US 3in guns are odd too in the fact that they were to be single mounts rather than the usual twins. Later they were replaced by two Bofors Mk.12 and later still two twin Bofors L/70. The planned rate-of-fire for the new 5in gun was 60 rpg but estimates showed only 35 rpg against surface targets and 35-40rpg in the AA role. This also helped kill the project.

Interestingly in the light of Golly's excellent revised Sverdlov, two of these were in theory capable of dealing with one Sverdlov. An interesting SB comparison too!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Very smart drawing Hood and nice to see this one updated to current standards. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 4:55 pm
Looks great Hood, but are you gonna draw the other two studies as well?

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Cruiser-Destroyer StudyPosted: July 7th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Excellent work, Hood! It definitely shows how things were evolving so fast back then. A great ship, but it would have been obsolete within a few years.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: