Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
BB1987
Post subject: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 23rd, 2012, 10:22 pm
You guys probably know that the early plan for the two Ise class battleships was to be converted into full carriers, this plan was shelved because of war shortages and time required for conversion, leading to a scaled down plan; this called for a flight deck extending to the funnel and removal of 4 of the six main guns turrets, but was also shelved in favour of the smaller flight deck wich was eventually built.

Here, after completed the real part of the Ise class project i present to you those two never built versions.

The hybrid with longer flight deck:
[ img ]

The full carrier:
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on August 30th, 2016, 5:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 23rd, 2012, 10:32 pm
Looks absoutly amazing!
Can't wait to see the carrier version :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 23rd, 2012, 10:54 pm
You are a drawing machine!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 24th, 2012, 7:27 am
You think lads that he is related to ALVAMA ?

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 24th, 2012, 8:24 am
SAWEET! More IJN ships! Looking good thus far!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 24th, 2012, 10:37 am
Rhade wrote:
You think lads that he is related to ALVAMA ?
nah, i just had a full sunday to draw :lol:

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 24th, 2012, 9:22 pm
BB1987 wrote:
The hybrid with longer flight deck:
First round of comments
[ img ]

(waiting this design completed before launching comments on the full carrier conversion...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 24th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Flight deck is not that short, A6M was able to start from it. But start from something and operate as part of air group are two different things. Zero was light fast fighter and don't need long deck to go up. Landings ... that's a different story, especially in 44' when almost all good japs pilots are dead. You need a skilled pilot to land on that short deck with additional turbulence ect. You should be able to operate some A6M and A5M but no dive bombers or torpedo planes. It would be a madness, but possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 24th, 2012, 10:12 pm
Seems i made the mistake of deleting the word WIP from the first drawing :lol: .

Well, the reference itself it's full of error/not completely reliable, so i had to adjust some things, the catapult shown is clearly too short when compared to the one used by the Ise class, as the flight deck, both in poposed hybrid and actually built version, is too short to permit conventional takeoff, so the planes where launched from the cats wich had to be that long to launch a fully armed aircraft; this means that the beginning of the flight deck must be moved a bit aft, because the catapults are so long that they would obstruct the 127mm gun placed just aft of the pagoda-mast if placed like the reference shows.
Also, the flashlight you circled in the middle of the funnel was removed in the real conversions in 1944 and replaced with a rangefinder for the aft 127mm guns, so the mounts on the sponson need that directors, thus in that case also the reference must be wrong (i can delete the forwardmost 127mm gun still, you have a point here).
The proportions for the side of the ship can be addressed, but i was trying to mantain the ones already present on the real hybrid, as the aft 25mm battery features the same layout (25mm-25mm-a pair of binoculars-25mm-25mm) even on the reference altough the latter cramps everything while leaving a large and unused space between the 127mm on the sponsons and the funnel.

For the Zeros, it's my error there, what i should need is the Yokosuka D4Y2, but it's seems to be nowhere to be found, so i used as a placeholder the first thing that comes to my hand.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japan - Ise Class Battleship (unbuilt conversions)Posted: September 25th, 2012, 12:38 am
LOVE the way this is turning out. Question: Would you mind if I used the longer-flight-deck version in my Nihon Kaigun 1946 thread? The wheels in the ol' noggin are a-turnin', and methinks I might have an idea for them. :)

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: