Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: November 11th, 2010, 5:35 am
I'm planning to draw/update all the post-1945 carrier projects as well. Sofar I've done them mostly just in AU Novgorod's colours but while I come to them with my next round in AU drawing, I will do the orginal Soviet versions as well. Also there will be included few designs never drawn to shipbucket before.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: November 11th, 2010, 10:43 am
Thank you for covering this most interesting topic...

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: November 12th, 2010, 5:17 am
Indeed, most informative! Keep them coming!

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
eadweard
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: November 16th, 2010, 5:42 am
Very well done! Thanks for expanding on what little I know of Soviet CV development!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: March 26th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Little teaser before the main fleet arrives...

Project 10200 Khalzan was an interesting design. It was based on the Ro-ro container ship Kapitan Smirnov and it's idea was to be a cheap alternative for pr. 11435 class. It was to field 28 helicopters, 6 in the hangar inside the superstructure and 22 in bellow deck hangar. In the end the design was rejected as it was insufficient to live up the demands of the VMF regarding damagecontrol, noiselevels and so on. Also it became rather complex and wasen't that "cheap" anymore. Some variants of the design featured desants onboard and in effect the design paved away for the pr. 11780 Kherson LHA.

[ img ]

PS: actually my very seccond shipbucket drawing was this same ship back in the days. It's found on the mainsite on never-where section. You can compare how much shipbucket style has elvolved since.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: March 26th, 2011, 8:33 pm
It appears to have a Soviet-style giant-drum-of-doom TACAN, but it's much narrower than the typical type. Is this correct? It seems unlikely, with Soviet electronics of the period, that things can just be arbitrarily scaled like that. Unless the whole thing is dielectric and there are simple dish antennas inside.

The complete lack of medium-range SAM, any AShM, any guns larger than 30mm... somewhat surprising to me. But for low-cost, maybe that's what you end up with.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: March 26th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Yeah in all the existing reference material of this ship, mainly the modell and linedrawings made from it shows equally tall but alot narrower TACAN type radar than on Kuznetsov and Baku.

As for the armament, SA-N-9 certainly is enough for it regards SAMs as the actual pr. 11435 (nor Baku) didn't had anything larger than that. SSMs really isen't needed in ASW helicopter carriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: March 26th, 2011, 10:34 pm
Need? What does need have to do with it? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: March 27th, 2011, 9:31 am
Not a bad effort for using a commerical hull for a carrier.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
dreadnaught111
Post subject: Re: Illustrated guide to Soviet Aircraft Carrier developmentPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 6:50 pm
Very nice! It's a pity the USSR didn't build any of these carriers. They could've built them after the war, but Khrushchev's disdain for capital ships slowed aircraft carrier development in the Soviet Union. If the Soviet Navy had more experience with carrier operations, perhaps they'd have understood the value of CV's sooner rather than later.

P.S. Golly, do you think you're gonna' do a drawing of the "Izmail" as she would've looked had the proposal to convert her to a carrier come to fruition?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: