Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Gator_Country
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 20th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Hmm, did the Flight II revert to the MK38 25mm as the drawing shows? The Flight 1 San Antonios have turreted 30mms, so I can't see why they'd go "backwards" (especially with ECM, but whatever).

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 20th, 2013, 6:39 pm
For cranes: http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... sLarge.png

For helping you a bit around with the drawing. I did ths a bit fast so the might be some errors! But there are some fuve things that I came over:
- Hull shading a bit weird!
- double black line and some places up to 5px thick black line!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88748209/lpd17flightii.PNG

I could write a long list of things, but they would mainly fit my drawing style then. But a bit work and if you study drawings of San Antonio that are laying around on the web (trusted one), and studying pictures and 3D drawings of this vessel a bit closer you will find a lot of things that need to be changed.

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 21st, 2013, 3:41 am
MC Spoilt B'stard wrote:
Im realy wondering, what is the purpose of this class? San Antonio is a LPD this looks more like a LSD like the Bay Class.
So she would not fit the LPD-17 San Antonio Flight II description but more like a new class based upon, Bay classes were also based upon Rotterdam/Galicia class LPD's.
You're correct, the Flight II is designed to replace the Bay Class, by using the proven hull and machinery of the San Antonio LPDs. They havn't named the class yet, so they're calling it the San Antonio Flight II.[/quote]

Replace the Bay class? A US ship replacing a british ship? i dont think so:P i think u mean the Harpers Ferry and Whidbey Island classes?:P

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
Gator_Country
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 21st, 2013, 11:23 pm
I believe he means for the export market. Although, I can't see why anyone would want to enter that field. Pretty much everybody who wants a dockship already has one, for the most part, either homebuilt, European export (which is pretty popular), or ex-USN (India, Brazil, Taiwan). The market seems pretty loaded already, to me at least.

[Profile] [Quote]
socar37
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 1:23 am
I was under the impression the Flight II was intended to replace the Whidbey Island/Harpers Ferry LSDs.

"Prepared In Mind & Resources"

[Profile] [Quote]
socar37
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 1:25 am
In fact... Here's the link to the HII website where they specifically say so.

http://www.huntingtoningalls.com/flight2/index

"Prepared In Mind & Resources"

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 24th, 2013, 2:49 am
socar37 wrote:
I was under the impression the Flight II was intended to replace the Whidbey Island/Harpers Ferry LSDs.
Well i never even heard about the plans before this drawing was made, i only knew about the BMD variant of LPD-17, also just like the BMD variant i think a humanitarian ops only variant would be 2 ships that are a waste of (tax) money better put that money on a future cruiser programme to do the BMD and the hospital ship replacement for humanitarian ops.

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 24th, 2013, 5:38 am
A "humanitarian ops" variant would actually be a needed addition. The LPD-17 Flight II by itself is inherently a decent hospital ship platform, and would be much improved over the current Mercy and Comfort which are infact converted bulk carriers and very limited in their capabilities.

[Profile] [Quote]
jezza
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San Antonio Flight IIPosted: January 26th, 2013, 5:27 am
socar37 wrote:
That was what I meant. I'm an Aussie, so we're currently all over our new Bay Class ship and it's well deck! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: