Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 20th, 2013, 10:17 pm
In the competition for the Australian Hobart class, the US entry was a truncated Arleigh Burke derivative from Gibbs & Cox. While the 2006 version is currently located on the main site (although hard to access thanks to an Ampersand), the later, definative, 2007 version is not.

I present that version to you now:
[ img ]

Rendering this ship properly required a total redraw of the ship forward of the aft funnel. The combat system is an export version of AEGIS, with 64 VLS cells.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 20th, 2013, 10:34 pm
the top weight is awesome in this one! but drawing is good!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 20th, 2013, 11:10 pm
Ugly beast.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 20th, 2013, 11:23 pm
You sure there aren't supposed to be an SVTT or two somewhere?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 20th, 2013, 11:42 pm
heuhen wrote:
the top weight is awesome in this one! but drawing is good!
She's got a lot of top weight because of all she packs in - things like task force command spaces are volume intensive. Just for the record, her SPY-1 faces are about as high above the water line as Atago's are - on a hull that is about 2000 tons smaller.
MihoshiK wrote:
Ugly beast.
How dare you insult the Burkette :P.
Thiel wrote:
You sure there aren't supposed to be an SVTT or two somewhere?
If I had to guess, the other side of the hull. I don't have any rendering of the port side - only the starboard.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 21st, 2013, 2:22 am
I suspect she should have a single two-tube launcher on each beam, but the G&C releases never indicated this was the case, or where it was to be located. Adding them would be very much a guess.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 21st, 2013, 2:46 am
Looks like they tried to see how much of a full Burke they can get on a hull with a waterline length to that of an OHP.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 21st, 2013, 8:07 am
Interesting, and great drawing, though not a beautiful ship indeed. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 21st, 2013, 10:35 am
Its difficult to describe how stupid/idiotic was the decision by the Australian government (Navy wanted Arleigh Burke ) not to buy of the shelf Arleigh Burkes after building 50-60 of them the USN may have ironed out any problems / design issues, there is no weapon system integration risks, off course the government has to buy votes in South Australia / Victoria almost as smart as the LHD project build half the ship in Spain then move it half way around the world to Victoria to finish it of (read buy votes in Victoria) - talk about a pork barrel !!!

Apart from that a nice drawing :)

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Gibbs And Cox Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (2007)Posted: March 21st, 2013, 10:41 am
re moving it around the world: that is what is done in a lot nations these days, and on 90% of all merchant ships.
the steel construction is most of the time considered too expensive to do it in an 'high tech' nation, so this is done in cheaper nations like china or romania. if we can consider spain such an country, that is another story, but I myself have worked on ships that were designed in the netherands, casco build in china and finished here in the netherlands. (and I have not worked on one but seen one that followed this line and then went to work in russia :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to β€œNever-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: