Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:09 pm
I remember, how, when I released my redraw of the OH Perry Class, people announced it would be kitbashed to the end of it's life before the month was over. I haven't seen much of this, which is kind of dissapointing :P
so, being supplied by artwork how the original (single helicopter) design of the perry looked, I decided to make my own kitbashes of some of the never build designs that were around the USN perry's.

First of all, the original contract design of around may 1971, with one LAMPS 1 helicopter, oto melara/bofors 35/90 twin mount, Mk 87 FCS and further more or less the same as the perry that was build
[ img ]
The second one is the same design, but as back up design equipped with TARTAR C, in case Mk 87 would prove unsuitable.
[ img ]
in november 1971, the design was changed again: the SQQ-23 sonar was replaced by the cheaper SQS-56, the hangar was doubled and by this, the complete above-maindeck arrangement was changed. interesting to note is that, while the ship was a lot better equipped for ASW operations now, the helicopter actually had an worse spot to take off from.
[ img ]
friedman notes though, that keel strength was kept for an change to the SQQ-23 or another larger sonar instead of the SQS-56, so I decided to draw an version of this too
[ img ]
the last november 1971 version notes the fall back option of the Oto 76mm gun in case the 35mm was unsuitable.
[ img ]
the last version is an modification using the keel strength build in into the perry for the larger sonar, if the need would arise to equip the SQQ-23 (or an newly developed sonar of similar size)
[ img ]

a few questions arose me, though:
- what would be the gun director if the TARTAR C system was chosen? Mk 87 supplied both gun and missile guidance, TARTAR C only missile. I kept the 'egg' for guidance now, but if the Mk 87 (or as equipped in the real ship, the more moddable 92) would have proven unsuitable, I suppose the egg would be one main component that would be unsuitable.
- I am not entirely certain if the sonar would be bow mounted. I thought it most likely, but feel free to prove me wrong.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:31 pm
Nice to see. It really shows how the Perry filled out it's hull before it even was finished being designed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 1st, 2013, 11:42 pm
Very nice
I'm curious, what happened to the to melara/bofors 35/90 twin mount?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 12:10 am
Trojan wrote:
Very nice
The US didn't buy it. It was exported however to Ecuador, Greece, Japan, Turkey, & pre-revolutionary Iran (possibly more, that's just who I've seen export data for).

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 12:25 am
My God, those forward-mast versions fell off the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

(and great drawings, obviously!)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am
TimothyC wrote:
Trojan wrote:
Very nice
The US didn't buy it. It was exported however to Ecuador, Greece, Japan, Turkey, & pre-revolutionary Iran (possibly more, that's just who I've seen export data for).
I am in doubt if this also counts for the GDM-C mount, the GDM-A was exported IIRC.
erik_t wrote:
My God, those forward-mast versions fell off the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

in a way, I like her looks. I only have a lot of doubts if that version would not be very bow-heavy, as there is a lot added in front of midship and a lot removed aft of it. I wonder how they have balanced that out in the hull......

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 8:14 am
Very interesting and educative. Great drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 9:03 am
This is a great thread! Acelanceloet has done a great job drawing the early version of the class. I wish we had something similar for other classes, Spruance, burke and Long Beach for example.
erik_t wrote:

The Perry class has always been a favorite ship class of mine but I'll be the first to admit the description that it looked like an "oil derrick on a Velveeta cheese box" isn't far off the mark. The hull was the best looking thing about the design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 7:38 pm
Wonderful drawings, ace. I especially like the versions with the 35mm gun, it looks like a very interesting weapon.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: FFG-7 Never BuildsPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 1:06 am
I think it was a smart choice to use the Oto Melara 76 mm on the final design (the one that was actually built). It has better range of at least 16 km and a larger shell.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to β€œNever-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: