Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 18th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Hello again

During the 1920s, the French studied several carrier designs between 10.000 and 28.000 tons, none of which was eventually selected, much less ordered. I chose the 19.000 ton design, which looks a lot like HMS Glorious, because it seems the most feasible and - together with Bearn - would complete France's allotment of carrier tonnage from the Washington Fleet Treaty. I had only a rather blurry plan without much details to work with, so most of the finer details are conjectural. So is the name, actually - the last Neptune was scrapped in 1908, so I figured it a a reasonable choice.

[ img ]

The same in a hypothetical 1940s fit with more flak and newer planes (Martlet fighters, LN-401 divebombers and PL.108 torpedo bombers)

[ img ]

By the way, ImageShack started to assign random filenames to uploaded pics a few days ago, I have no clue why. I also have no clue how I can rename the files to something useful for uploading purposes. Can anyone help me there??

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 18th, 2013, 6:43 pm
A Lexington-esque island...I like it! The only correction I might make is that the 1940 version (or a later version if you're planning on a wartime one as well) might have extended the flight deck all the way to the bow like other carriers, so as to give the updated airwing more takeoff space.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 18th, 2013, 7:11 pm
Amazing work Garlicdesign, I like it very much indeeed.
I also think that, the idea of extending the flight deck in the later version is very logical, though I doubt it would have been done.
I also like your PL.108 planes.
I think that, had the ship been built the 1940 version might have carried the twin 37mm ACAD Mle 1936 mounting.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 18th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Wow! :o
That's an amazing work (and a certainly interesting ship)!

Btw. I think it would be great if You post it for upload too. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 18th, 2013, 8:41 pm
:o :o :o

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 18th, 2013, 10:25 pm
Thats one good looking carrier!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 19th, 2013, 8:59 am
Excellent work, I've never seen this design before. A very good looking ship combing several interesting design styles.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 19th, 2013, 9:13 am
Very interesting looking ship for sure. One thing that's always puzzled me about the French carrier designs are the grills on the island sponsoon. Are they intakes or what? I don't recall other carriers of the period featuring such prominent grills which appear unique to French designs. Any elaboration is welcome.

Once again excellent drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 19th, 2013, 9:47 am
Le Grille? What the hell is that? ;) Sorry 'bout that. :lol:

In all seriousness though, beautiful drawing! There is something about French superstructures of the time period that I just love. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Project cancelled - French carrierPosted: June 19th, 2013, 7:09 pm
OK, now trying it with MajHost

[ img ]

[ img ]

looking good

By the way, I also dont't know the exact reason for all these holes. Might be a weight-saving measure because this carrier - just like Bearn which has the same holes - has the bridge sponsoned out very far to starboard.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: