Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 8th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Update:
Depricated

Last edited by TimothyC on December 9th, 2010, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 8th, 2010, 8:36 pm
deleted

Last edited by Colombamike on March 30th, 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 8th, 2010, 9:11 pm
  1. Fitting that with the TACAN system would be a pain. I'm not sure there is even space on the mast for both, and no I'm not pulling TACAN. Edit: And Spruance didn't so yeah, probably not going to happen. I may fit a few more antennas below TACAN though.
  2. No way I'm going to place the decoy launchers in front of the SPY-1 arrays because that's a good way to microwave your crew while they reload the launcher. There is also next to no room left amidships. The current placement was the least bad option.
  3. I'll see how it looks, but chances are it's not moving forward of the Mk-26

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 1:53 am
Colombamike wrote:
Last for me Timothy...
Is it just me or did you just contradict yourself there?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 4:15 am
This should be final:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 6:13 am
This is how I would have drawn this ship, more or less.

[ img ]

It's a never built, so you can basically do whatever you want within reason.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 8:35 am
Colosseum wrote:
[ img ].
To compare with the 1st initial version. Great, mission completed ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 10:21 am
Very nice. I'd say its finished, nice details and overall a vast improvement on the WIP drawings.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 12:03 pm
I have one question, since it doesn't seem to appear in the previous posts: what year is this ship supposed to be depicted? Since if it is as of FY74 overall appearance the following ought to be changed to better reflect a mid-1970s status: Replace the SPS-49 with SPS-40 (and where's your SPS-10?!?); the OE-82 SatComs should be the square ones, not the round ones (if even carried!), no phalanx, of course and no ECM (though there are a few earlier version you can replace it with), and no SRboc:s. Also one thing which slightly confounds me, does those davits for the motor launch really exist within the USN? I don't believe I've seen that particular design yet, but I may be wrong. Also, if you decide on using the existing equipments, why not make extensive use of platforms on the side of the superstructure? Take a tour at USN designs and you'll realize the advantage of that! Other than that it looks very nice. I might, though go with a trifle smaller rudder plane, since yours appears rather a slight overkill for such a compact design! And, yes, I believe you could post it to Mr Friedman and he'd chuckle his approval! :D ;) 8-) :lol: It, indeed looks very USN!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: DG/AEGISPosted: December 9th, 2010, 1:51 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I have one question, since it doesn't seem to appear in the previous posts: what year is this ship supposed to be depicted? Since if it is as of FY74 overall appearance the following ought to be changed to better reflect a mid-1970s status:
That's a good point. While I picked the FY74 design, the ship herself is depicted several years after launch in the late 70's early 80's time frame. This give her time to be refited with more advanced equipment.
Quote:
Replace the SPS-49 with SPS-40 (and where's your SPS-10?!?);
The AN/SPS-49 was one of the few points of reference that St. Norman did give in his book. As for the SPS-10, the California class cruisers never received one so I figured that the austere AEGIS destroyer that came out a few years later wouldn't have one either
Quote:
the OE-82 SatComs should be the square ones, not the round ones (if even carried!), no phalanx, of course and no ECM (though there are a few earlier version you can replace it with), and no SRboc:s.
As I mentioned before the ship is in a late 70's early 80s configuration and as such has received the equipment you list. as for Phalanx, again like the SPS-49 St. Norman lists that as some of the known equipment fit.
Quote:
Also one thing which slightly confounds me, does those davits for the motor launch really exist within the USN? I don't believe I've seen that particular design yet, but I may be wrong.
Stolen from the Brooke (DEG-1). :D
Quote:
Also, if you decide on using the existing equipments, why not make extensive use of platforms on the side of the superstructure? Take a tour at USN designs and you'll realize the advantage of that!
Oh, I do know the advantage of platforms one the side of the superstructure, but I was trying to stay as close to the FY72 drawing as I could.
Quote:
Other than that it looks very nice. I might, though go with a trifle smaller rudder plane, since yours appears rather a slight overkill for such a compact design!
I'm not sure about the underwater hull as a whole. It looks very good but I may need to replace the sonar bulb with something smaller as it exceeds the given full draft figure of 16.2 feet.
Quote:
And, yes, I believe you could post it to Mr Friedman and he'd chuckle his approval! :D ;) 8-) :lol: It, indeed looks very USN!
Thank you for your kind words.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 55 posts ]  Return to β€œNever-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: