Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 7:47 pm
I noticed the mast, and decided to have an closer look at here so. (all black line replaced with bright green):

1. Ruder. Double black line is an no-no in "Shipbucket". What you can do is using a very dark red shading on the ruder to give the look of "close but no cigar"
2. This morings need some work, because double black line is an no-no in SB. But if admin thinks those are okay, then they can stay that way.
3. Here you should use Black outlining with very dark gray in it.
4. There are some areas around here with double black line. Try to fix it as good as you can get it.
5. Double black line is no-no. All things that shall carry some weight or other things should be three pixel thick: "black outlining with the ship color in center" (Black - Color - Black)
6. The same here as in 5. but here you have also some areas with triple or quad black line and that is an big NO-NO. if this part of the mast is black, then you use black outlining and a very dark gray color, almost black.
7. The windows doesn't have an perfect black outlining.
8. There are some stray black pixel here.
9. Basic shading. but an artist can interprets the SB-rule. so long it's inside an limit.
- Corners that is 70-80 degrees or more should have the break marked with an very dark line or just an black line.
- corners that are 45+- degrees should use an dark gray color some are just a bit more pronounced than the main color.
10. shading under overhang. I use one dark line and two lighter line with shading under overhang.
11. The Flag should have an light black/Dark gray instead for total black, since double black line is a no-no.

All in all a very good work, with some new-beginners errors, but not so many that I did expect.

One thing, those very dark gray lines on the turret should be replaced with an dark gray line.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:42 pm
heuhen thanks for that! i'm in the process of altering her as I have a larger and higher quality copy of the drawing i used and will take your advice on board and correct my bad guess work :-). Should have the updated L20e (yep e not a as I put in the topic title) uploaded next week.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: October 30th, 2013, 2:31 am
DG_Alpha wrote:
I have to add my praise, you really did an amazing job with such few resources. I have to ask, though, why you didn't use the already available model for the 88mm single flaks?
Thanks for your comment! its much appreciated. I'm currently updating the drawing and am using a much higher quality plan i found.

I've changed the FlaKs now, s hadn't thought to use them to be honest, the Flaks i'm using are to a modified version of the available model. Hopefully i'll be finished soon :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 4th, 2013, 11:51 pm
Hello everyone, it took slightly longer than I planned but here is the L20 e in all her glory! I hope i've done her justice and that you all enjoy her :-)

I've made a few updates to match the improved higher quality line drawing i found and added a lot more detail and shading, i'm hoping to produce a modernised version of her as well.

[ img ]

Last edited by Tempest on November 5th, 2013, 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 5th, 2013, 1:14 am
VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 5th, 2013, 1:28 pm
An excellent update that is much better than the WIP. We look forward to more of these never-were German capital ships to come!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 5th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Beautiful drawing! Welcome to the forum! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 5th, 2013, 3:58 pm
It's an outstanding drawing! One question though: should the hull not be quite a few shades lighter? The Kaiserlische Marine used a much lighter shade of grey compared to the RN, and so had the initial advantage at Jutland, where the lighter silhouettes of the German BC:s blended into the descending sun. Did this practice change late in the war?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 5th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Very nice work. :)
Two really minor nit-picks and one slightly less minor: there's an issue with anti-aliasing on flags, I have some reservations about the lighter outline around the armored belt, but most importantly I feel that shading is not quite consistent: I understand that general rule is that light comes roughly from the upper right corner of the picture (so from the bow), and here some elements are lighter towards the bow, some towards the stern (see the main turrets for example).

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German WW1 L20 a BattleshipPosted: November 5th, 2013, 7:41 pm
Thanks everyone! It does make it a difference having fellow Shipbucketers critiquing my drawing, makes it all worth while :-D

I was hoping that my latest update to my drawing would hit its mark. Being my first attempt I was hoping to make a good impression.

I'm hoping to answer the points raised in one post, so here goes:-

bezobrazov On my WIP I used colours from this (except for the copper colour for the hull, wasn't sure about that)

[ img ]

which I got from this site http://www.sms-navy.com/paint/sms_paint-overview.htm

I thought they were too light and detracted from the drawing, especially since I wanted to add a lot more shading. I decided to have a look at what others have done and decided to go with colours that have already been used on Shipbucket. Are the colours on my WIP what you were thinking about? I found it difficult to decide wither to use them, or to use darker colours to make the drawing look more appealing. :-)

eswube What do you mean by anti-aliasing on flags? Do you mean blurring? Looking at the shading, I used other designs as inspiration, and wasn's aware of that there was a particular direction light was coming from :-) still learning :-) I'm not sure how else to show the thickness of the armored belt, should I use a darker shade?

Thanks again guys for all the comments :-)

Oh btw, does everyone have the same problem as I do? I'm continuously looking at how to improve the drawing instead of settling with a finished final design hahaha. I'm hoping she's almost done :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 63 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: