Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 24  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 24 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 10th, 2016, 11:37 am
Hello again
citizen lambda wrote:
Forgive me for not chiming in more often, but there are only so many different ways I can say "awesome drawing" without it getting repetitive after the third post. :)
+1! ;)

Wonderful series, altogether. With lots of possibilities AU-wise. Imagine a GK3 (my favourite among the German battlecruiser fantasies) 'as completed' with tube masts, fewer casemates and 150mm HA guns...

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 10th, 2016, 3:21 pm
Tempest wrote:
citizen lambda, haha I don't mind :D haha. Thanks. The flag is a attached top and bottom believe me, I had thought I had placed the flag too close to the top for it to be seen. I will move it lower.
Just to make this minor quibble clear, I'm not questioning the position of the flag up or down its line, but the fact that the edge where it should be attached seems to float between the two cables reaching that yardarm. I see two cables/lines going up, and meeting the yardarm in three points including the edge of the flag.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 10th, 2016, 8:37 pm
maomatic, I forgot to say, that I copied the depth markers from photos of the Mackensen class when drawing Mackensen and stuck with that for the rest of the ships.

Thanks Garlicdesign, I've added the rest of the design studies to my work list, as now it seems completing them are within the realms of reality. I do like the tube masts now( I preferred the tripod before), and I think I've got it looking right now on the GK series. I'm going to finish the designs that use the hulls already drawn ( I think its just a few in the L 20 series left) and I think then I will draw a GK battlecruiser design study.

citizen lambda, gotcha, I've fixed that now, thank you.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 11th, 2016, 3:45 pm
Excellent work!
I for one prefer the classic looks of the tripod-masts, though. :-)

Just went through my library and looked at some photos of SMS Mackensens' stern during construction.
The markings do indeed go all the way down between the shafts. Quite interesting, never noticed that before.
I wonder if those are draft markings after all, because why'd you need them there of all places? (apart from when at dry-dock?)
The WWII BB's did not seem to sport something similar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 11th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Thank you maomatic.

I've had a look online and I've found similar on the Admiral Scheer, Scharnhorst and Bismarck. On a separate not I found quite a few photos of Bayern class ships that I hadn't seen before.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/ru/Navy:SMS_Bayern_(1915)

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 11th, 2016, 8:25 pm
My statement was a little misleading, I guess.

The KM BBs did of course have similar draft markings, but - correct me if I'm wrong (which I might be!) - I am somewhat certain that they didn't have something as extensive as this:

[ img ]

Just found it kind of odd and interesting, that they'd add such markings between the shafts and all the way down to the keel.

Anyway, your drawings are certainly correct regarding this detail and I'm sorry for derailing your very nice thread! :)

Keep it up!

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 11th, 2016, 8:38 pm
They were all photos from the bow. I'll keep looking. TBH I stopped looking when I found the photos that I hadn't seen before. Was pretty chuffed, and on the wargames website of all places.

It's not derailing at all, it's good to have a discussion. I've learnt things about the Imperial Navy on Shipbucket that I wouldn't have elsewhere. Thank you maomatic.

[Profile] [Quote]
csatahajos
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: November 6th, 2016, 2:44 pm
May I ask what comes next? May I suggest the GK10 maybe? :)

[ img ]

I've put together the drawings in one master picture so we can have a feel about the progress of the designs. Very interesting.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: November 24th, 2016, 8:32 pm
Hi csatahajos, I haven't drawn anything as of yet, I have six more drawings with three different hulls that I'll draw next GK 3021 and 3022, GK 4931 and 4941, and GK 5031 and 5041. I'm thinking of completing the last three battleships, the use the L 20 hull, L 24, L 20 e alpha, and L 23 alpha. Then I'll work on battlecruisers of which I have twelve.

I really like your master picture, I think they should be in date order rather than design study designation however. I hope to some drawings for you to add to that soon!

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WarPosted: May 30th, 2017, 7:59 pm
After my hard drive fiasco, among other things, I lost my progress on an update for the L 20 e Design Study, so I had to start again.

Here is the finished update with the old drawing below for comparison.

[ img ]

Updates
  • Since drawing SMS Baden I have realised that all those years ago, when I first drew the L 20 e, that I had misinterpreted the design of the armoured belt at the bow, I have corrected this error and will add this correction to the other design studies as and when.
  • I changed the colour of the rigging.
  • Improved the shading on the superstructure including the masts.
  • Changed the searchlights to an improved design.
  • modified the 15cm SK L/45 secondaries, which I am still not happy with however.
  • Last not but not least, I modified the armoured bridge, taking my experience with drawing SMS Baden into account I made it more realistic while staying true to the original line drawing.

The updated drawing has replaced the broken link on the first page. I hope you guys favour the update.

I will be drawing a new ship soon.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 24  [ 231 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 24 »

Jump to: