Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 12  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: January 1st, 2016, 10:52 am
That they do but purchasing them would lead to let another supply chain to worry about. The switch to 127mm is bad enough for us.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 12:26 pm
127mm is almost NATO standard unlike our bespoke solution. Wonder as the T45's are refitted will they get new guns?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 12:46 pm
NATO standard it may be but we don't and have never operated it so it brings challenges for us transitioning to it.

As for the Type 45s, it'd probably come down to money and stockpiled spares and ammunition I'd have thought.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: January 4th, 2016, 5:37 pm
yes but its an off the shelf purchase with a proven track record

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: January 5th, 2016, 12:34 pm
They're great drawings Gunship, I definitely need to work on my detailing more! :roll: The T26 design seems to be changing all the time, so I think the minor variations are just problems with the sources all being slightly different! It's cool to see someone else's drawing and compare/contrast, it's definitely helping me improve. However, I don't want to change too much on mine now because I think I'll just be stealing details from yours! I think it should be possible to take the best bits from both though for a pretty accurate collaboration ...

These are the latest T26 images I used:

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

Re: the 40mm ... I just thought that was the RN standard 30mm drawing, I stole it from an RN drawing in the database (can't remember which one).

They may well have been superceded by now, but that's what I've based my drawing on ... For instance, the irregular shaped boat hatch and the higher superstructure vs. 30mm platform on the RH side. Some of the details Gunship has included, like the gangway hatch, I couldn't see on these images so I didn't include them, although I readily accept they may well be there. The overall reference was from a screenshot of the HD BAES video showing a side view blueprint, including the hull form, which towards the stern looks a bit odd to me but is as close an approximation to my reference as I could get.

high-res:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgb4686u0ws10 ... 2.png?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u7qpca3ccvxe ... 1.jpg?dl=1

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: July 10th, 2017, 9:20 pm
Evening all,

Minor update of T26 regarding the newly released BAe images following the order for the first batch:

[ img ]

They've basically just modified the forward superstructure to include a wider deck space around the bridge/citadel section and there's a couple of other minor cosmetic changes.

(I don't know if there's an up to date decoy launcher on any of the parts sheets, I can't seem to find one so there's a placeholder at the moment.)

Let's hope the RN sees them before 2025!

BAe promo shot

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: July 10th, 2017, 9:31 pm
Just one minor thing: shade the way the ships shape and the shipbucket style dictates, not the way the render dictates. In this case, the forward down facing part of the bridge wing is facing forward and is not as steeply angled as the middle part, so I would think it is lighter coloured then the middle part of the bridge wing, not darker. The same goes for the shading of the hull above the water, what defines this shade like that?

The decoy launchers on your drawing and on the image look different, there are some details missing on the boat bay door, the funnels...... but other then that, this is excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: July 10th, 2017, 9:59 pm
The decoy launcher you've used is the Chemring Centurion, which (though awesome looking) looks like it might be dead on the vine. It's certainly not what's shown on the BAe render. I'm almost certain what's emplaced in those locations is the EAD torpedo decoy launcher. I'm not sure if it's been drawn on the parts sheets, but you're clearly more than skilled enough to handle it ;)
[ img ]
I concur with Ace's comments on shading.

It's a nice drawing, though!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: July 11th, 2017, 8:30 am
That's a nice update.

If you do draw the EAD, please let me have a blank full version (i.e. full height including mounting) so I can add it to the RN parts sheet.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: New RN FrigatesPosted: July 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm
I might try my hand at the launcher this evening. Do any of the British-inclined folks have any sources beyond what I can find on the first page of Google image search?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 12  [ 113 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »

Jump to: