Saint Louis Class Heavy Cruisers
The appearance of the heavy cruiser Algérie in 1932, inspired the consideration and design of a new and improved heavy cruiser based on Algérie: the Saint Louis class of heavy cruisers (to be built when the limitations of the treaty of Washington would expire). They were planned for completion in 1943 to replace the Duguay-Trouin class ( 1923 ), and were approved on April 1, 1940, but their construction was never ordered.
The basic design featured a mack (Combination mast/smokestack) a la Richelieu with a tower control tower reminiscent of Algérie.
At least three variants were considered:
A version titled: Gun Layout
15,950 tons standard -19,422 tons fully loaded
202 m (662 ft 10 in) length,
20 m (65 ft 8 in) width,
5,80 m (19 ft) draft.
Propulsion: 4 turbines Parsons, 130,000 hp.
Speed: 34 kts
Protection: 210 mm
9/ 203 mm (3x3),
8/ 100 mm (4x2),
8/ 37 mm (4x2),
16/ 13.2 mm AA MGs,