Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 25th, 2016, 5:14 pm
This is one of my vefy favorite warship design of all time, the Project 12441 Grom SKR, one of the first never-where Soviet/Russian warships I've encountered and one of the main reason for all this madness that brought me into Shipbucket. I've drawn it dozen or so times already for various incarnations of my AU projects but for real life never-where version I've done it back in the days of the old bucket.
While I was doing it for my latest AU version, I decided to include it here also.

The ship itself is rahter interesting. It orginates from the 80's as a replacement for the pr.1234 (Nanuchka) class MRK with the typical fate of so many other soviet naval projects expanding into totaly different kind of ship. As the size grew it was decided to give it powerfull ASW and AAW armament as well the result was one of the most heavily armed Frigate-size shipdesigns. One hull was laid down in 1997 but was never finished. Reports told back while ago that the hull would be completed as a training ship but nothing have been done for the hull to the date after it was launched to free up the slips few years ago.

Here it is, prepesented in one of the more known asumed design.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 25th, 2016, 5:29 pm
Great work!

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
GRISHA-II
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 25th, 2016, 6:03 pm
Nice ship! Fantastic work!

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 25th, 2016, 10:58 pm
Aah! I know I should have done something with the half dozen variants I had derived from your previous version... Well, once again, that'll teach me to procrastinate (maybe, one day).
All kidding aside, this version looks great, though a bit on the stocky side. Did you find new sources that brought you to raise the hangar and bridge like that?
As usual there are a lot of unknowns on an unbuilt design, and I have had trouble finding two plans of this ship that agreed on the layout. For instance, these shapes between the hangar and the funnel are still completely unclear to me (one of them looks like an EW array in your new version), while Sokolov shows additional SAM blocks in that area. On the other hand, his version includes the same semi-detached sonar dome as yours, while others have a classic bulb...
Ah well. Seeing how you have added SAMs, can I assume that you know more about what system it was supposed to be?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 25th, 2016, 11:50 pm
I presume they are some variant of 9M96, since I can't think of any other recent Russian project with prominent canards.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 9:31 am
he probably used this one as reference:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 10:07 am
A very nice update, compared against the original (which is still pretty good even after all this time) it is much better detailed.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 10:38 am
Well Drawn Gollevainen.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 12:10 pm
Yeah there indeed is quite few iterations of the design been found on the internet. There are basicly 3 different drawings of the original layout to which the most are based on. There is the one that Heuhen posted which I used this time and another quite similar but without the Phassed Array radar and with slight differences details and the third one which shows completely different layout with Urans pointing forward at the side of a hangar with quite low cealing (not big enough for the douple-rotor Kamovs). These have been laying around in the internet since the 90's.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: SKR Project 12441 Grom (Novik)Posted: June 26th, 2016, 2:57 pm
OK, I had used the version below from Atrina so far. Granted, the main difference in layout is the shape if the sonar dome, so that's not really an irreconcilable tragedy for an unbuilt design.
[ img ]
Regarding the SAM system, the 9M96 makes some amount of sense if you consider a phased array in the mainmast. In my personal designs, I had ruled out the Poliment/Redut combination as having no chance to be ready at the same time as the first Grom hull. Then again, there is no real system that makes more sense than that, it's just that the design was very optimistic from the outset.
Good point about the helo hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: