Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
csatahajos
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 2:22 pm
First of all well done on taking on these series, hope you will do many of the designs in there.

Second let me offer my findings if you don't mind:

- "Also, the stern is completely wrong. The outer shafts are weirdly represented. Practice in the USN were fairly long shaft lines. In your rendition, the outer propellers would effectively knock the outer plating out and themselves get distorted and bent! They are simply told unworkable" - just what he said; these ships were extremely fine fore and aft so I think even more spacing would be needed then what you have now.

- the protecting screen should be right above the outer (forward) screw with the middle pillars centered on it, not like now as it is between the two shafts. It had to be above it so that it could protect the screw from above as well (as the screw "protrouded" from the 3D shadow of the hull looking from above)

- The 5" guns on the sketch appear to be of the 51 cal. length ones not the 25 cal. AA type IMHO

- also the anchors should be a bit farther aft and also there is a 3rd bow anchor at the tip of the clipper bow (just like the old US BBs had).

Last edited by csatahajos on July 7th, 2016, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Nice start :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 2:26 pm
csatahajos wrote:
First of all well done on taking on these series, hope you will do many of the designs in there.

Second let me offer my findings if you don't mind:

- "Also, the stern is completely wrong. The outer shafts are weirdly represented. Practice in the USN were fairly long shaft lines. In your rendition, the outer propellers would effectively knock the outer plating out and themselves get distorted and bent! They are simply told unworkable" - just what he said; these ships were extremely fine fore and aft so I think even more spacing would be needed then what you have now.

- the protecting screen should be right above the outer (forward) screw with the middle pillars centered on it, not like now as it is between the two shafts. It had to be above it so that it could protect the screw from above as well (as the screw "protrouded" from the 3D shadow of the hull looking from above)

- The 5" guns on the sketch appear to be of the 51 cal. length ones not the 25 cal. AA type IMHO

- also the anchors should be a bit farther aft and also there is a 3rd bow anchor at the tip of the clipper bow (just like the old US BBs had).
-Could I just use the stern from Karle's Pensacola? The stern end of the ship is the part I hate post when it comes to drawing

-The 5" guns are the same ones as the ones on Karle's Pensacola

-I think I like where the anchor is.

This one I made was based very closely to the original concept, but there are some obvious differences, like overall length, the mast and a few other details.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 3:02 pm
BB1987 wrote:
A suggestion. Personally, I would not give fictional names to actual never built designs (unless they recieved one already, like the Montana class ships for example), just call it "USA, Design C N°10" like the file says, you can add a "(preliminary Pensacola design)" after the first text if you want some more.
In particular, the population of Las Vegas was about 5000 in 1929...

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 3:19 pm
Well I'll put it plainly. I don't care.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 3:21 pm
You've managed to remove the slewing controls and seats for the torpedomen on the torpedo tubes. ;)

I also think you have a few too many .50-cals (16 I count) for a ship this early. I would cut it down probably to 4 fore and aft.

The foremast spotting platforms are probably a bit too large and I would reduce their size a bit.

Otherwise interesting take on a never-built design. I echo the comments about not giving it a name, but if you must please name it something other than Las Vegas... as erik_t points out, Vegas was nothing more than a cow town in the desert at that time!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 3:39 pm
Quote:
Well I'll put it plainly. I don't care.
Please come on, this is not a good attitude to have. If you want to name it something, make it the USS Denver or USS Miami (both large cities that didn't receive cruiser names until CL-58 and CL-89 respectively).

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 4:30 pm
Alright it's Miami, and not Vegas. I don't know how to edit the title though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 4:33 pm
Changed for you. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Heavy Cruiser Las VegasPosted: July 7th, 2016, 4:40 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: