Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 16th, 2017, 9:22 pm
pepembr_mb wrote: *

I'm using a lateral shading from a starboard side light to give it more relief effect. About the railing, I'll experiment another colour.

Thank you!
You're shading do not make any sense at all, and that relief effect you can forget, we are not drawing cartoon drawings. The shading standard we have in Shipbucket are there for a reason, and that is to make it easy to see the shape of an ship.....

(take a photo of a ship... does areas of that ship look like you'r drawing? No):

notice how the light hit the ship, and how areas that are away from the light is shaded:
[ img ]

We have some standards/rules when it come to shading in shipbucket. at the moment it doesn't follow those standards with shading going in thousand direction. it doesn't make any sense at all. you'r argument isn't a good argument.

By shipbucket standard, light is coming in from front and above. thus there should only be shading under overhang and toward aft. toward front you should use light shading.

I recommend you read shipbucket Shipbucket Style Guide & Standards Manual: http://shipbucket.com/styleguide

specially point 4:
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#4

This is how it should look like, when shaded correct:

[ img ]

In shipbucket, there is only one side that is light and one side that is dark, not both. a drawing in shipbucket, is basicly a pixel drawing of how the ship would look like, if we took the exact same photo from the same angle as we draw it.

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 17th, 2017, 8:36 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 17th, 2017, 11:31 pm
on that photo the light is coming from slightly aft. but in shipbucket we do the drawing with the light coming in from front... basicly the ship is sailing toward the sun

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 18th, 2017, 12:52 am
pepembr_mb

You are quite welcome to play around with shading - that is what the "Non-Shipbucket" part of the forum is for.

If you want to have your drawings in either the Real-Life or Never-Were sections of Shipbucket then you are obliged to follow the Shipbucket drawing rules. No exceptions.

When someone of Heuhen's rank in Shipbucket spells out to you what you are doing wrong - do not argue - fix the problem how he has reccomended - Heuhen has more experience than you or me. He is well worth listening to!

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 18th, 2017, 1:26 pm
Ok...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 18th, 2017, 2:18 pm
He is one of the special one in shipbucket, he is the only one in shipbucket to do a shipbucket drawing that way. Due to he won an competition back in the day, that was hold in shipbucket.

He is also one of the first members, from when shipbucket still was defining the drawing style.

I believe it was Gollevainen or Coloseum that said he was the only one allowed to do so.

even when he do it that way, he is shading better than you do, he is also shading as if the light is coming in from the side-aft and above, thus most dark shading is faced forward than aft.

Psilander have an unique style, that is done so perfect that he is allowed to. But if someone is coming with that style today... it's a no no.

Shipbucket is a rule of drawing. if you want to draw a shipbucket drawing, you have to follow the shipbucket rule that have been drafted down over several years.

I am not interested in argument. I state the fact and how things work. at the moment you'r drawing is not a Shipbucket drawing, due to it is not following the basic rule of Shipbucket drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 18th, 2017, 2:43 pm
I'm redoing her in YOUR way. In my opinion, it's worst than my original work and a retrograde step, but I'll respect this rule despite both of you are not moderators.

Good day!

Pepe

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Reworking shadowsPosted: November 18th, 2017, 2:46 pm
It's not ready!

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 18th, 2017, 3:29 pm
Everything Heuhen has said in here about shading and SB style stands its ground, you don't need moderator position to state the obvious and we actually don't even have such rank in here. The style and its rules are really simple and clearly accesable to everyone intressed to be part of SB community.

[Profile] [Quote]
pepembr_mb
Post subject: Re: Riachuelo Brazilian BattleshipPosted: November 18th, 2017, 8:38 pm
Gollevainen wrote: *
Everything Heuhen has said in here about shading and SB style stands its ground, you don't need moderator position to state the obvious and we actually don't even have such rank in here. The style and its rules are really simple and clearly accesable to everyone intressed to be part of SB community.
I modified it according the rules. It's ok, or not?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: