Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: January 31st, 2018, 10:22 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: February 1st, 2018, 9:00 am
Very nice work.
First time I've seen the Neuentwurf II design. Its a handsome design.
I assume the gap admidships was left for a future catapult (presumably a trainable one rather than fixed given the lack of any hangar space)?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: February 1st, 2018, 9:13 pm
Thank you all very much for the kind replies!

@Hood:
None of the proposals feature airplane handling equipment, but this would have almost certainly been the position for a trainable catapult. (just like on the Scharnhorsts)

All of the proposals date back to 1934. This was the year when the Reichsmarine began with initial preparations to install floatplanes aboard the Panzerschiffe and cruisers. Ultimately, the first catapults and planes were fitted a year later to said types of ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Psyden
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: February 25th, 2019, 11:51 pm
Could you tell me where you sourced you information? I've been doing research into the evolution of Panzerschiffes and I am having a hard time finding information, especially on the 3 turret design. I didn't even know it was the Neuentwurf II or what it's secondary load out was like.

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: February 26th, 2019, 7:21 pm
Hi,

my most useful source on the design evolution of the Scharnhorst-class is the old "Marine Arsenal Band 24 - Die Schlachtschiffe der Scharnhorst Klasse" by Siegfried Breyer.
It doesn't go into too much detail, but includes a few small line-drawings and most importantly some original design plans for the later proposals (the quality is mediocre, though).

Koop & Schmolkes "Battleships of the Scharnhorst Class" might also be of interest, eventhough the part about the development history is rather brief.

A quick google search also wound up a plan of the initial design 3b:
https://frm-wows-us.wgcdn.co/wows_forum ... 140262.jpg

Hope that helps!

Cheers
maomatic

[Profile] [Quote]
Psyden
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: March 4th, 2019, 5:43 am
Thank you, kindly.

I was able to snag the last copy off of Amazon.

Would you happen to know if "Pocket Battleships of the Deutschland Class" has any good info about the early designs of the Deutschlands? I've found a page from a book that someone had scanned that has a number of the early designs in it, but I can't find out which book it is.

Also, I bought "German Warships: 1815-1945," and in it I found some images of the D-Class, P-Class, and O-Class. Both the D-Class and P-Class differ significantly from other designs I've seen. The D-Class is listed as design A.Kr. 33 and the P-Class is listed as design A V. The O-Class is more similar to other depictions I have seen.

https://frm-wows-us.wgcdn.co/wows_forum ... b99f0f.jpg
https://frm-wows-us.wgcdn.co/wows_forum ... 80cf81.jpg
https://frm-wows-us.wgcdn.co/wows_forum ... 6526d5.jpg
https://frm-wows-us.wgcdn.co/wows_forum ... 9e7dfe.jpg

I kinda laughed when I saw the P-Class and the unfortunate placement of the scout planes.

[Profile] [Quote]
the bunker parodie
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: August 18th, 2019, 6:56 pm
is this a Scharnhorst class design?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: August 18th, 2019, 7:21 pm
After my understanding, both yes and no... more no.

after a quick search, there was a ship being built in the midd 1930's (around 1934), that they started on, but stopped and then broke up and they started on Scharnhorst instead,

but it look like an enlarged Graf Spee/pocket battleship variant.

But we have someone on the forum that might know something.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: August 19th, 2019, 8:14 am
It looks like an early Scharnhorst design. The Ersatz Elass that was laid down was more less the standard Deutschland design with 2x3 11in turrets.
The design shown here must be an early one when the design was recast with three turrets.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Scharnhorst-Class design ProposalsPosted: August 29th, 2019, 8:58 pm
Hi,

the drawing you posted is of the "Neuentwurf I / Entwurf D7a".

The "D7a" was final design stage of the Scharnhorst-class. It was basically the plan to which the Scharnhorsts' were eventually constructed.

The main difference between "D7a" and the as built ships was the addition of the 4 single 15cm mounts amidships and the SL-6 AA-rangefinders.

cheers
maomatic

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: