Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Garlicdesign
Post subject: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 5:49 pm
Hello again!

The Great War caused the termination of three French shipbuilding projects: The Normandie-class battleships (five already laid down), the Lamotte-Picquet-class cruisers (one ordered, two planned) and the 1914 battlecruiser project (no orders placed yet, nor was the design finalized).

The Normandie-class battleships were already drawn by Novice ages ago; I hope he does not mind an update. They would have been powerfully armed ships (broadside of 7.020 kg, close to Revenge's 7.260 kg) of very compact size (25.300 ts, more than 2.000 tons less than Revenge); speed (22 kts) and protection (300mm belt) were significantly improved compared to earlier French battleships. Only Normandie and Languedoc were completed to launch readiness and regularly launched; Flandre and Gascogne were launched incomplete to clear the slips. Only Bearn was completed as an aircraft carrier, the other four were scrapped. As any as-completed fits are necessarily hypothetical, I restricted myself to the as-designed fit.
[ img ]

The construction of battlecruisers was only tentatively planned; three designs were prepared which were of simliar size 27.000 - 28.000 ts with the same speed (27 - 28 kts) and the same protection (270mm - 280mm belt) but vastly differing armament: One by Gille with twelve 340mm guns, one by Durand-Viel with eight 340mm guns and another one by Durand-Viel with eight 370mm guns. Comparing them with contemporary foreign battlecruisers, in my eyes only Durand-Viel's first design seems really feasible, with armament and speed similar to Lion, and much better protection on the same displacement; anything better would probably been beyond French technology in that era. Durand-Viel's Design I is shown here as designed.
[ img ]

The Lamotte-Picquet-class light cruisers was a rather old-fashioned looking design of 4.500 ts. Armament was up-to-date with eight 138mm guns (four superfiring fore and aft and two on each beam for a broadside of six) and four 450mm TTs in fixed mounts amidships, as was speed at 29 kts; armour however was very flimsy at 25mm over machinery only, with even thinner decks and gun shields. It is often stated that four of the guns were mounted in casemates amidships; the only plan drawing existing in the internet however indicates that the beam guns had the same shields as the centerline ones and were placed in an unarmoured, roofed shelter. Ten units were planned, but only three authorized in 1914, and only the lead ship was actually ordered. None of them was laid down.
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 7:09 pm
That CL sorta looks like a French Emden. VERY nice work on all these! Will you be drawing the Lyon-class as well?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 8:20 pm
You,youuuuuuuu........
[ img ]

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 9:24 pm
I don't mind that you have updated the Normandie. A very fine job you have made. I also join emperor_andreas in his wish for an updated Lyon (also done when I did the Normandie)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 9:10 am
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 9:34 am
Impressive like every one of your drawings.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 3:39 pm
Excellent updates.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
okinoshima
Post subject: Re: French WWI-era never weres rebootPosted: July 29th, 2018, 12:10 am
Garlicdesign, would you ever consider redrawing your French WWI destroyers you originally did back in 2013? A lot of new information has come up on them since then, particular from John Jordan of Conways who's "French Destroyers 1922-1956" has a wide array of new information of what we now know as a series of redesigns that led to the Jaguar/Chacal class destroyers of the immediate post-war era from the 1914 "M89" design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: