Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 12:25 pm
One more update, Ace reminded me about the bow-mounted sonar.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 12:38 pm
I am actually not certain these ships would carry 2 helicopters, seeing the hangar is not full beam anymore. The aft SPG-62 would have to be placed somewhat higher, to clear the hangar spaces, I think

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 1:04 pm
Two might be a tight fit...the hangar is probably not more than 30 feet wide on the inside...

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 3:09 pm
On the subject of a tight fit, how does this all fit on the hull? Has the hull been stretched or did it have large margins already?

Swap
- 3", Phalanx, Mk13
for
- 5", RAM, MK41 and 8x harpoon

Fit two bigger helicopters (note FFG7 did not carry 2 SH2 and you have 2 SH60?)

I don't see much savings on radar as well?

But anyway they do look nice, especially the later one.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 3:22 pm
About the only thing left from the original design is the engines and hull shape. the angle of the deck changes, bringing up her freeboard, the missiles are moved back slightly and the VLS is elevated to give room; the ASMs are in the general area where the 3" was, and the 5" is closer to the original spot of the Mk. 13.

They seriously reconfigured her for this concept.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 3:27 pm
I should also mention, as was discussed in the Discord this morning, this ship is almost certainly a new build concept. there's so much structural work being done that rebuilding an existing ship to this standard, while in theory probably doable, is not worth the expense and effort.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: January 27th, 2018, 5:54 pm
they would propably do as much changes to the hull as the Norwegians did to Oslo class that was based on a Dealey class. where they gave it a more flater underwater hull, and flater stern and a bigger bow/above water hull, than original

[Profile] [Quote]
Miklania
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: February 22nd, 2018, 10:46 pm
It also appears that the stacks are too far aft. In the reference image, they are forward of the boat handling area and that sort of "waist" in the super structure. Right now they might be infringing on the hangar space somewhat.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: September 23rd, 2018, 3:15 am
I know I'm casting a necromancy spell, but I remembered/found where I had seen something about one of the possible OHP derived designs:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Republic of China (Taiwan) Perry-class ModificationsPosted: September 23rd, 2018, 2:50 pm
There's a lot to unpack here. 32 cells forward, but trading an entire helo hangar for four cells aft? Text says the central superstructure block is one deck lower, but the drawing shows two (not to mention the mast being totally different)? Completely new forward superstructure plus rearrangement of spaces below it? Two screws, not one?

Hard to read this as an "updated, enlarged" Perry derivative. The ADB drawing lends credence, but...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: