Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: LionsPosted: June 9th, 2018, 9:37 pm
Hi all!

I was quite surprised that one never made it to the archive, so there's my three cents on the...

Lion-Class battleship

First, the initial 1938/9 design of 40.000 ts:
[ img ]

Then, the 1940/1 revision of 42.000 ts with more beam, more freeboard forward, a more raked (Vanguard-ish) bow, waterline protection extended nearly to the ends, and re-arranged aft superstructure to make room for the aft director which had been placed on top of turret X in the initial design:
[ img ]

And a hypothetical as-completed fit with what I consider a plausible 1943 radar fit, aircraft facilities deleted and two octuple and two quad pompoms (new total 72 barrels) and 34 single Oerlikons added:
[ img ]

The second ship, HMS Temeraire, is shown in a 1945 fit with improved air search and fire control radars, 52 Bofors guns instead of Pompoms and 40 Oerlikons:
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

Last edited by Garlicdesign on June 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 3:08 am
Awesome! VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 7:06 am
Very nice drawings indeed, and they would have been quite handsome ships.

Would they have been on time for the RP10 Mark I turrets used on Vanguard, or would they have had the old mounts, as depicted here?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 7:07 am
@Garlic, my two penny ;)

Garlicdesign wrote: *
I was quite surprised that one never made it to the archive
Wrong, several attempts to draw this class in the previous years/decade
[ img ]

First, the initial 1938/9 design of 40.000 ts
[ img ]

Then, the 1940/1 revision of 42.000 ts with more beam, more freeboard forward, a more raked (Vanguard-ish) bow, waterline protection extended nearly to the ends, and re-arranged aft superstructure to make room for the aft director which had been placed on top of turret X in the initial design
Not 1940-1941 but January 1942 design ;)
[ img ]

And a hypothetical as-completed fit with what I consider a plausible 1943 radar fit, aircraft facilities deleted and two octuple and two quad pompoms and 16 single Oerlikons added
Your 1943 timeline was IMPOSSIBLE for a ship finally designed in early 1942.
Early 1942 finally designed means => laid-down in 1943, launched in 1945, completed by 1946-1947 (at the best :roll: )
Draw it "a la Vanguard" (radars/sensors/light AA guns)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 8:52 am
The 'Hood' version was done for Wesworld and was not a 'real or never-were' attempt at the Lion Class. The secondary and heavy AA guns are from the Wesworld arsenal.

1943 version would incorporate all of the 'Vanguard' improvements from the Vanguard Project which itself was an improved 1938-39 Lion type. I.e. all the different bridge structures, Mihoshiks mk.2 5.25" etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 9:15 am
Very nice work GD.

I suspect the 5.25in Mk II might have been fitted to the 1942 design given that they were intended for Vanguard which was in final design during early 1941.

I've not seen any reference to the 12.7mm mounts for the 1938 design, I suspect they were removed from the design by 1939.

Colombamike,
It's not really fair to include unknown's work as it was a long, long time ago and his drawings were representational rather than accurate plans.
Also, as Krakatoa has pointed out, my Lion was a fictional ship for Wesworld, I'm not sure I ever posted it on the old SB forum.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 9:58 am
I was waiting for these to show up, exelent work Garlic!!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 10:47 am
Hey Garlic, looking good! but one minor issue: you uploaded them using the wiki, the wiki is not meant for the uploading of real and never build designs. Those should be uploaded using the shipbucket main site. Do you have an account there?

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 10:59 am
Hi everyone!

First, thanks for the praise.

Second, I have to admit that the labeling of the first two drawings is unprecise. The first one represents the design 16F/38(mod), which was indeed approved on December 15th, 1938 (the original 16F/38 appears to have had four twin turrets), the second one represents a design labeled 16H/40 (not 42) which was approved in August 1940. It already resembled the 1942 variant in most aspects but still had aviation arrangements. These infos are from Breyer's Schlachtschiffe and Schlachtkreuzer 1921-1997 (published 2002) and are sufficiently detailed that I (perhaps naively) assumed they are based on thorough research. The final version assumes 16H/40 was pushed through without any further modifications; omission of aviation facilities is a minor change that does not require a major re-design. That's why I used the old-style 133mm turrets as well. I freely admit that any completion date before mid-1944 is wildly optimistic; I just like the mid-war camouflage better. Maybe I come up with a 1945 variant sooner or later. I'll change the labeling and add the saluting guns (which I simply forgot) later.

@ace: At the moment, I have problems with dropbox, so I used the wiki for convenience; as these ships are somewhat speculative and feature in the Thiariaverse, I did not consider that a problem. Besides, I wanted to present them to the public before uploading them to the main site.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
ForceA1
Post subject: Re: LionsPosted: June 10th, 2018, 3:01 pm
Are the HA Directors for the TS1 system or are they the MkV DCTs that appeared on the KGVs and Implacable?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: