Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
admiral_snow
Post subject: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 10th, 2021, 12:41 pm
The United Federated States of Bangsamoro (Malay: Persekutuan Negara Bangsamoro) is an archipelagic nation in Southeast Asia. The country is composed of the island of Mindanao, the Sulu Archipelago, and the northwestern portion of the island of Borneo (also known as Sabah). The capital and largest city is Davao.

[ img ]

Official Language: Malay (Bahasa Melayu Bangsamoro)
Recognized Languages: English, Chavacano, Arabic, etc.
Demonym: Moro
Type of Government: federal semi-presidential parliamentary republic
Head of State: President
Head of Government: Prime Minister
Legislature: Bangsamoro Parliament
Judiciary: Supreme Court
Independence: 1964
Area: 171, 434 square kilometers
Population (2020): 29, 437, 691
GDP (2021): $175.38 billion
Currency: Bangsamoro ringgit (BSR)

HISTORY
Bangsamoro has its origins in the various Islamic kingdoms and states in the area, which from 1521 to the 19th century, fought wars with the Spanish Empire that colonized the Philippine archipelago. Seeking protection from Spain, as well as other potential foreign colonizers, various Moro sultanates in Mindanao sought the protection of the British Empire. Following an agreement with Spain in 1888, the Spanish relinquished control of the Mindanao Island to Britain, which then colonized the island. Moro insurgents still fought against the new colonizers, however, they failed to dismiss their new colonial masters.

In World War II, the Philippine Archipelago and Borneo fell under Japanese rule with the Allied loss against Japanese forces. This time, the Moro rebels switched their sides, deciding to fight alongside the Americans.

After the war, Britain placed the island of Mindanao under a British Military Administration, before deciding to administer the colony as a single entity. Prior to World War II, the country was divided into three groups of polities: the Territory of Sabah, the protectorate of the Bangsamoro Sultanates, and the Eastern Rajahnates. In 1946, the Union of Moroland was formed, however, it was unpopular as the majority of the population wanted greater autonomy from Britain.

For years, Britain considered unifying the Bangsamoro with Malaya, this proposal was rejected by the Philippines, which claimed that the island of Mindanao was rightfully theirs, and Indonesia. In 1964, after a referendum, majority of the population voted for independence, which was granted by the British later that year. The name Bangsamoro, a combination of the words bangsa which means "nation", and Moro, was selected. Datu Gumbay Piang became the country's first Prime Minister, and Salipada Pendatun was elected as the first President. Also, to create a sense of unity among the populace, which was divided into different tribes, Malay was selected as the official language.

The Philippines was still reluctant on the idea of the creation of the Bangsamoro, and in 1968, planned an operation to invade the newly born state. Dubbed Operation Merdeka, it was foiled before execution, and caused the severance of ties between the two neighbors. Relations began to normalize in the 1990s.

Economy
Bangsamoro's economy is mainly based on primary sector such as agriculture, forestry and petroleum. Currently, the tertiary sector plays an important part to the state economy, especially in tourism and services. With its richness in biodiversity, the state is offering ecotourism. Although in recent years the tourism industry has been affected by attacks and kidnapping of tourists by militant groups.

Major crops like papayas, mangoes, bananas, pineapples, fresh asparagus, flowers, and fish products are exported internationally. The country also relies greatly on palm oil, as well as natural gas deposits . Oil was also extracted from the Liguasan Marsh, area of around 2,200 square kilometers (850 sq mi) spanning the province of Cotabato. It noted for its natural gas deposit which is estimated to cover a radius of 300 square kilometers (120 sq mi). (In OTL, natural gas was only discovered in the 2010s because the region was conflict-ridden.)

Upon independence, Bangsamoro has been listed as a "developing nation" by the United Nations and ASEAN, and listed as one of the poorest member of ASEAN. As of 2015, it is currently just below the "middle power" status, and was considered as one of Asia's "Tiger Cub Economies".

Demographics
The Bangsamoro government recognizes three groupings of ethnic groups. Like its southern neighbor Malaysia, the natives of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago are known as the Bumiputra. This is divided into the Moro Bumiputra and the Non-Moro Bumiputra. Others are known as "Foreign Ethnic Groups". Islam accounts for about 87% of Bangsamoro's total population and 10% are Christians, 3% belong to Animist and indigenous traditional religions. Most Muslims are either followers of traditional Sunni Islam or Folk Islam. Despite the predominance of Sunni Islam, pre-Islamic practices and traditions are still prevalent.

Bangsamoro contains a melting pot and diversity of languages. The national language of Bangsamoro is known as Bahasa Mindanao Melayu. known as the Mindanaoan Malay language. It is the country's national dialect of the Malay language. It is normally referred to as "Malay" indifferent of the other dialects. Bangsamoro has three officially recognized languages, they are Arabic, English and Chavacano.

The Mindanaoan Malay language is distinct from other Malay dialects, in that is borrows heavily from the native languages of Mindanao, and incorporates some Spanish, Filipino and Hokkien loanwords. It also retains heavy influence from Old Malay. While Mindanaoan Malay is mostly written in the Latin script, the Muslim nobility also utilizes the famous Jawi script, the Arabic script used to write Southeast Asian languages.

Politics
Bangsamoro is a parliamentary republic based on the Westminster system. The Constitution of Bangsamoro is the supreme law of the country, establishing the structure and responsibility of government. The head of state is the President, which only exercises mostly ceremonial roles. The head of government is the Prime Minister, which also vests the executive powers.

Military and Foreign Policy
The Bangsamoro Armed Forces is divided into the Army, Navy, and Air Force. Currently, it has 90,000 active personells and 110,000 reservists.

The Bangsamoro is a member of the United Nations, the ASEAN, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, and other various regional and extra-regional organizations. It enjoys close relationship with the West, as well as with it's neighboring ASEAN nations.

[Profile] [Quote]
admiral_snow
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 10th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Bangsamoro and the South China Sea dispute

The Bangsamoro claims a portion of the South China Sea, which includes 1 island, 4 reefs, 1 shoal, namely: Swallow Reef, Ardasier Reef, Dallas Reef, Erica Reef, Investigator Shoal, and Mantanani Reef. It began occupying the features in the 1980s by building garrisons, which was eventually transformed as Offshore naval stations. The largest Bangsamoro garrison was in Swallow Reef, in which the Bangsamoro Navy had maintained permanent presence on the reef since 1983.

[ img ]
Swallow Reef

Bangsamoro is a nation which has traditionally sought to secure its interests in the South China Sea quietly without undermining its overall relationship with Beijing through what was termed a ‘playing it safe’ approach. China is the Bangsamoro's largest trading partner, and was after Chinese loans to finance key infrastructure developments in the country. Diplomatically, Bangsamoro prefers to adroitly manage the South China Sea issue by communicating its concerns privately to China rather than publicly airing grievances.

However, to the surprise of the Bangsamoro government, in a vivid demonstration of Beijing’s growing assertiveness in the South China Sea, a Chinese Coast Guard ship anchored near Swallow Reef in 2013. The vessel is just 157 nautical miles from the coast of Sabah, well inside Bangsamoro’s exclusive economic zone and on the southern end of China’s infamous nine-dash line, which covers about 90 percent of the South China Sea.

The country reacted strongly against Beijing's intrusion by filing diplomatic protests, however, the country still didn't totally abandoned it's play safe approach in the dispute. Bangsamoro’s reaction to this incident is indicative of its growing concern. While the country has at times downplayed such South China Sea-related matters in the past and preferred to handle them privately, the country’s response this time was much firmer and more public.

China's growing assertiveness pushed Prime Minister Murad Ebrahim to forward the modernization of the country's military as one of the priorities of the government. Later in 2013, a multi-billion dollar modernization program was passed in the Parliament, which was seen as one of Bangsamoro's answer to China's territorial incursions.

[Profile] [Quote]
admiral_snow
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 10th, 2021, 1:11 pm
DW 1400 offshore patrol vessel

To expand the Navy's capabilities to patrol the territorial waters of Bangsamoro, the government announced it's intentions to purchase two (2) brand-new offshore patrol vessels in 2012. In 2013, the contract was awarded to Daewoo Shipbuilding and Maritime Engineering, which offered a derivative of their DW 1400 OPV design (see design here: DW 1400 OPV ). The ships were commissioned in 2015 and 2016.

[ img ]

General Characteristics
Length: 80 meters
Beam: 11 meters
Draft: 3.1 meters
Displacement: 1,400 tons standard load
Propulsion Systems: 2 x MTU12V diesel engines, 2 x shafts
Speed: 24 knots maximum
Range: 2,500 nmi at 14 knots
Endurance: 21 days
Crew: 65
Sensors and Processing Systems:
-Hanwha Naval Shield Combat Management System
-2D air search radar (FFBNW)
-Kelvin Hughes S-band and X-band surface search/navigation radars
-Thales LIROD fire control radar
-Hanwha SAQ-540K EOTS

Armaments:
-1 x OTO Melara 76mm Super Rapid naval gun
-2 x MSI DS30M 30mm autocannons

Aviation Facilities:
-helipad and hangar

Aircraft Carried:
-1 x AgustaWestland AW109E light utility helicopter

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 10th, 2021, 5:05 pm
Nice attempt, but I'm afraid that it's too non-proportionally short (relative to other dimensions). I'm pretty sure that the main gun wouldn't fit there - maybe it's wide enough on the deck level, but belowdeck hull (which is very V-shaped there) could be too narrow. Another thing is, that unless that helicopter has folded tail, it would probably not fit into the hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
admiral_snow
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 10th, 2021, 10:32 pm
eswube wrote: *
Nice attempt, but I'm afraid that it's too non-proportionally short (relative to other dimensions). I'm pretty sure that the main gun wouldn't fit there - maybe it's wide enough on the deck level, but belowdeck hull (which is very V-shaped there) could be too narrow. Another thing is, that unless that helicopter has folded tail, it would probably not fit into the hangar.
Thank you sir for the kind criticism. I am struggling to find any data about the DW 1400 design that's why I just tried to draw it in my own interpretation :lol:

What i did here was to lengthen the hull by another 5 meters, enlarged the hangar, and some adjustments taking your suggestions in consideration. Hopefully the main gun could now fit there. I am happy coz I think it looks better.

[ img ]

Won't delete the older drawing so that I could see my progress.

Cheers!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 11th, 2021, 12:15 am
By looking at the model of DW1400 OPV, it look more like something they have thrown together.
- Helicopter deck with a to small helicopter model
- A Hangar that is just a box, that have an weird height to it (unnecessary tall compared to helicopter a vessel of this type would carry and what those Navies this design is designed for)
- main superstructure is just a box, where they have just slabbed on a bridge from a different/older model they had lying around (they basically took the bridge design from DW3000 frigate, cut it up and clued it together on the dw1400 OPV)
- The mast I have seen on a different ship (can't remember)

This is what I call a coffee table design, but of course it can work, with some modification

The model look more like this:

[ img ]

Remember those model that are presented at those Naval-expo, are just a base design. but they are there more to show what they can deliver and show that they have a design they can build one (reduce the cost fro they buyer, those design will almost always be adjusted massively, even the superstructure. (That is my experience with Korean naval design)

Of course some of them deliver and design that look almost like how they are completed, but then they have already received, some interest from before and are thus more willing to do a more complete design.

And since DAMEN basically bought Daewoo (it's more an operational control) the dw1400 OPV got replaced by DAMEN "OFFSHORE PATROL VESSEL 1400" (They are efficient at deleting information, of old competing design)

https://products.damen.com/en/ranges/of ... essel-1400

[Profile] [Quote]
admiral_snow
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 11th, 2021, 12:24 am
heuhen wrote: *
By looking at the model of DW1400 OPV, it look more like something they have thrown together.
- Helicopter deck with a to small helicopter model
- A Hangar that is just a box, that have an weird height to it (unnecessary tall compared to helicopter a vessel of this type would carry and what those Navies this design is designed for)
- main superstructure is just a box, where they have just slabbed on a bridge from a different/older model they had lying around (they basically took the bridge design from DW3000 frigate, cut it up and clued it together on the dw1400 OPV)
- The mast I have seen on a different ship (can't remember)

This is what I call a coffee table design, but of course it can work, with some modification

The model look more like this:

[ img ]

Remember those model that are presented at those Naval-expo, are just a base design. but they are there more to show what they can deliver and show that they have a design they can build one (reduce the cost fro they buyer, those design will almost always be adjusted massively, even the superstructure. (That is my experience with Korean naval design)

Of course some of them deliver and design that look almost like how they are completed, but then they have already received, some interest from before and are thus more willing to do a more complete design.

And since DAMEN basically bought Daewoo (it's more an operational control) the dw1400 OPV got replaced by DAMEN "OFFSHORE PATROL VESSEL 1400" (They are efficient at deleting information, of old competing design)

https://products.damen.com/en/ranges/of ... essel-1400
Thank you for this info Sir, basically I was trying to build a ship with the DW 1400 as the basis. I tried to modify the base model for it to look more "realistic" (which hopefully I managed to do).

Also i think DSME already deleted the design coz I can't find it anymore in their portfolio.

Last edited by admiral_snow on July 11th, 2021, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 11th, 2021, 12:43 am
I think it was totally deleted from Daewoo portofile, when DSME signed contract with Daewoo.

and if we look at DAMEN (DSME) OPV 1400, it have similar base (hull) as Daewoo dw1400 OPV, so I presume the dw1400 OPV design was updated and changed into DAMEN OPV 1400 (with the knowledge on what customers Daewoo and DAMEN are aiming at with the 1400 design)

and for me a 76mm gun on a OPV is a bit overkill,I'll max out at 56mm (although here in Norway, we could upgrade to 76mm, torpedoes and missiles, on our OPV, if Soviet/Russia decide to not play nice...)

[Profile] [Quote]
admiral_snow
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 11th, 2021, 1:07 am
heuhen wrote: *
I think it was totally deleted from Daewoo portofile, when DSME signed contract with Daewoo.

and if we look at DAMEN (DSME) OPV 1400, it have similar base (hull) as Daewoo dw1400 OPV, so I presume the dw1400 OPV design was updated and changed into DAMEN OPV 1400 (with the knowledge on what customers Daewoo and DAMEN are aiming at with the 1400 design)

and for me a 76mm gun on a OPV is a bit overkill,I'll max out at 56mm (although here in Norway, we could upgrade to 76mm, torpedoes and missiles, on our OPV, if Soviet/Russia decide to not play nice...)
I see. Anyways, I choose the 76mm gun coz it is the standard caliber of the main naval gun of the Navy's primary combatants. Neighboring navies like Malaysia had their OPVs with a 76mm primary gun, and as well as the future Philippine Navy OPV from Austal.

[Profile] [Quote]
admiral_snow
Post subject: Re: Bangsamoro AUPosted: July 11th, 2021, 10:22 am
DW 2500 BN frigates

In 2013, the Navy announced a tender process for the construction of two (2) new frigates. Several companies from Europe and Asia joined the competition, and later that year, three shipbuilders were shortlisted:

1. Daewoo Shipbuilding and Maritime Engineering (DSME), offering a DW-2500 frigate derivative
2. Damen, offering the SIGMA 10514
3. Navantia, offering an Avante 2400 Combatant derivative

In April 2014, DSME, having the lowest bid compared to other European competitors, bagged the contract. They offered a version of their DW 2500 frigate tailored to meet the Bangsamoro Navy's requirements. It also has features from the FFX Batch II frigate design of DSME for the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN).

The first frigate was commissioned in 2017, followed by the second unit in 2018. The ships were named after mythical heroes of the Moros. In 2020, the Navy intends to order a second batch of improved version of these frigates, however, the plan was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

[ img ]

General Characteristics:
Length: 103 meters
Beam: 12.5 meters
Draft: 3.8 meters
Displacement: 2,400-tons standard load; 2,550-tons full displacement
Propulsion Systems: CODAD, 4 x MTU12V diesel engines,, 2 x shafts
Speed: 25 knots maximum, 15 knots cruising
Range: 4,200 nautical miles at 15 knots
Complement: 90

Sensors and Processing Systems:
-Thales TACTICOS Combat Management System
-Thales SMART-S Mk2 3D air/surface search radar
-Thales STIR 1.2 EO fire control radar
-Hanwha SAQ-540K electro-optical tracking system
-Kelvin Hughes SharpEye S-band & X-band surface search/navigation radars
-SQS-240K hull mounted sonar

ECM & Decoys:
-LIG Nex1 SLQ-210(K) ECM/ESM system
-2 x Terma DL-12T decoy dispensers

Armaments:
1 x OTO Melara 76mm Super Rapid naval gun
8 x VLS for MBDA VL-MICA SAMs
2 x 4 LIG Nex1 SSM-700K Haeseong anti-ship missiles
2 x MSI DS30M 30mm autocannons
2 x triple torpedo tubes
4 x 12.7mm heavy machine guns

Aviation Facilities: helipad and hangar
Aircraft Carried: 1 x Leonardo AW159 Wildcat

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: