Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 43 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 141 42 43 44 4565 »
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 13th, 2012, 12:13 am
Really awesome weapons, man. How do the Armaros-family missiles work? It looks like they have air intakes. Are they ramjet powered?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 13th, 2012, 10:32 am
Correct they are ramjet powered with rocket boosters depending on the model. In essence they're a cross between Aster and Meteor.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: SC-85 ASW FrigatePosted: June 14th, 2012, 12:34 am
Well I never got around to posting a finished design for the ASW contest. That said I have persisted with the drawing I had and finished it.

Surface Combatant 85
[ img ]

A few quick notes:
  • 1x 76mm SR
  • 1x Mk29 NSSM launcher (I originally wanted to ship ASROC on the thing)
  • 2x Bofors ASW mortars (not seen the projectile anywhere to add to the munitions line)
  • 4x Otomat Teso AShMs (I originally wanted to have bunch of Penguins, then thought about Exocet but ended up with Teso)
  • 6x SVTT (2x Triple)
  • 1x Goalkeeper CIWS (Originally the design was going to ship 40mm twins, then 30mm twins then Phalanx, I ended up with the Goalkeeper splitting the hangar)
  • SRBOC and Nixie
  • SQS-56
  • ~35kt top speed - (CODLAG @ 2x RR Marine Spey producing ~19.5MW per unit and 4x Ruston-Paxman RK-3 diesels producing 2.46MW per unit for ~65,000SHP to two variable pitch props.
  • 4x Hughes 500 ASW helicopters (Yes they're small but my idea is four helicopters can be in more places at once than two, that said the original design called for two Lynxes so changes can always be made)
  • 2087 towed sonar or similar
  • DA-08 aft and ZW-06 forward. WM25 and STIR forward
I'd imagine if they were still in service they'd of gotten a Mk48 replacing the Mk29 and had the Tesos replaced by the newer Exocet or Harpoon models and have the helicopters replaced with AB.212s.

~Regards, Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 4:18 am
If it is not the problem of the hanger like the Taiwanese Gearing Class Destroyers, large helicopters are preferred since they can operate dipping sonars where smaller helicopter cannot. Larger helicopter can also accomodate systems like RAST and Bear Trap. for operation capabilities in heavy seas.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 5:44 am
True, but sometimes you just can't get the large helicopters you need.

Something like an AB-212 or even a Sea Hawk is a good compromise, but sometimes you can't even get that.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 6:34 am
few comments:
- the TT's could better be near the hangar, so you can use the same torpedo storage.
- that hangar setup (space-hangar-GK-hangar-space) gives you at least the beam of an perry, if not more. that is interesting, as beamy ships were introduced a tad later, speed was at that time still more important then seakeeping.
- she looks seriously wet when used in the atlantic.
- I see you took some inspiration of the E-71 class, right?
- with link to the above, I am wondering how you put so much more on the hull then the E-71.... but I suppose the larger beam will make it indeed possible :P
- may I ask you to please use the newest WM from the dutch parts sheet? :P

but, an interesting ship! it could have come far in the challenge ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 7:19 am
Nice looking design Blackbuck :) . My only concern would be accomodating two helicopter hangars either side of the Goalkeeper magazine, plus that you've not extended the hangar space to the deck edge: that demands a seriously beamy hull, more so than a Perry methinks?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 8:57 am
acelanceloet wrote:
few comments:
- the TT's could better be near the hangar, so you can use the same torpedo storage.
- that hangar setup (space-hangar-GK-hangar-space) gives you at least the beam of an perry, if not more. that is interesting, as beamy ships were introduced a tad later, speed was at that time still more important then seakeeping.
- she looks seriously wet when used in the atlantic.
- I see you took some inspiration of the E-71 class, right?
- with link to the above, I am wondering how you put so much more on the hull then the E-71.... but I suppose the larger beam will make it indeed possible :P
- may I ask you to please use the newest WM from the dutch parts sheet? :P

but, an interesting ship! it could have come far in the challenge ;)
* Will do
* What about lengthening the hangar at the expense of the flight deck (which now is overly large for what is operated or would be operated) and shipping either one or two Phalanx instead of the GK?
* Recommendations?
* Nope, More inspiration came from the Meko 360 and Kortenear than anything else. (Orignally the flight deck and hangar were a deck higher with an open area for the towed arary)
* She's meant to be reasonably fat, not a super mode. Around 14.3-14.5m
* I'm pretty sure I did use the latest WM D: That said I shall check and amend any discrepancies.
* Cheers, I just didn't have the available time to finish it with family issues but it's here now!
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Nice looking design Blackbuck :) . My only concern would be accomodating two helicopter hangars either side of the Goalkeeper magazine, plus that you've not extended the hangar space to the deck edge: that demands a seriously beamy hull, more so than a Perry methinks?
* See point 2
* Slightly beamier nothing like a Type 23 or Bazan though.
klagldsf wrote:
True, but sometimes you just can't get the large helicopters you need.

Something like an AB-212 or even a Sea Hawk is a good compromise, but sometimes you can't even get that.
* AB.212(s) once I get the hangar and flight deck revised
* That said the Hughes 500 has a towed MAD, a RAST equivalent and surface search radar, granted size might be a bit of an issue for endurance but the equipment is most certainly there.

~Regards, Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 1:01 pm
SC-85 Revision 1

[ img ]
  • Revised hangar layout and CIWS type/placement. (The hangar now narrows at the entrance forming a tunnel to a larger area for two Lynxes or however many Hughes you can fit in there like a clown car)...
  • Colour scheme changed to reflect theatre as well as to patch up some areas of white that I missed etc.
  • SVTT relocated aft and RHIB relocated forward to the SVTT original position
Suggestions for revision 2? (Namely improving seakeeping and staying dry)...

~Regards, Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: June 14th, 2012, 1:12 pm
suggestions:
(possibilities, not all work well together and not all should be used)
- heightening the bow
- let the bow angle more
- more freeboard overall
- more sheer
- moving the helideck up one deck
- removing weight (laying her higher on the water)

keep with all these the stability and topweight in mind, though.
and an length/beam similar to the type 23 would work, yeah :P a little early, but ok, possible ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 43 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 141 42 43 44 4565 »

Jump to: