Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 37 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 135 36 37 38 3968 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 9:12 am
Question: Does a certain U.S. Navy Admiral from Fredericksburg rise to prominence in the Texas Navy? :)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 12:42 pm
Quote:
Question: Does a certain U.S. Navy Admiral from Fredericksburg rise to prominence in the Texas Navy?
He is not to be confused with the other Chester Nimitz, born in Fredericksburg, Maryland at the exact same time. :D

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 12:52 pm
The Hallettsville class destroyers were due for a much needed refit in 1931. The first four went into drydock at the Levingston and Lone Star yards on the Sabine River (just as the first four of the next destroyer class were being laid down to replace the Dallas boats). When they emerged almost a year later, they were much different from their original appearance:

[ img ]

Gone were the heavy 6"/53s, replaced with 5"/25 dual-purpose guns. However, their smaller size limited the capacity for efficient centralized fire control. Facilities in the small superstructure were expanded to provide space for the plotting room but it could only provide data for low angle fire. Firing against aircraft was still controlled at the gun.

The older, wire-braced masts were gone, replaced by a simple tripod foremast.

Engines and boilers were also replaced, but did not significantly improve their performance.

The Halletsvilles would continue to provide good service up until the start of the war, when their age and lack of room for growth resulted in conversions to other types of ships needed for that conflict.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 4:49 pm
If I were you (well, this Republic of Texas) I'd strongly consider a new-build version of this Halletsville class, or at least something that would bridge the Halletsville with the Madisonville class that would eventually replace the Halletsville. These seems like they can be very good platforms for those 5/25s if proper fire control can be installed and a a similar new-build destroyer would be in line with USN contemporaries.The Madisonville class could make nice flotilla leaders.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charwhick
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 7:10 pm
By far my favourite AU, but as you go forwards will we see any indigenous armament? Or mostly continuing to use US built weapons?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 10:31 pm
The 5/25 is an indigenous weapon to them, I think.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charwhick
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 5th, 2014, 11:39 pm
klagldsf wrote:
The 5/25 is an indigenous weapon to them, I think.
I thought it was a US weapon based on the discussion a couple pages ago.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 6th, 2014, 1:28 am
Most of the guns are indigenous, but borrow strongly from US designs (because there's good source material for drawings). I have used UK weapons when US guns were not available for study.

The tough part about the destroyer armament and the secondary armament for capital ships in this time frame is the lack of designs. The world's leading navies were not building much between 1920 and 1930 due to treaty restrictions. So it was REALLY hard to find good ordnance.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 8th, 2014, 1:10 am
Great work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: April 8th, 2014, 1:42 pm
Redhorse, you can "rip" the 5/25 directors off the Northamptons (which should be archived!). They're placed on pedestals, atop the midships superstructure, just abaft the aft funnel. I think they're small enough to be of use on your Hallettsville. (Been there, btw, several times! Wifey's gramma lives there!)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 37 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 135 36 37 38 3968 »

Jump to: