Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 668 »
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 24th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Makes perfect sense.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 26th, 2010, 10:16 pm
Watching you grow this AU is a real treat, Redhorse.
I'm interested not only to see how your Texas evolves, but the rest of it's Western Hemisphere as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 27th, 2010, 10:16 pm
I would have to agree, Redhorse really thought this through, well done buddy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 12:32 pm
Thanks for the complements!

In the 1870s and 1880s, naval developments occur at such a fast pace that ships are often obselete as soon as they are launched. The same problem exists in the Texas Navy, and terminology becomes very confused. In 1878, the Corvette Bosque was authorized, and when she was commissioned four years later, she was almost as large dimensionally as the Cruiser San Jacinto. Only her 6" main battery distinguished her as a corvette:

[ img ]

Bosque continued to advance shipbuilding in Texas and the capability of the Navy Yard. Like her predecessors, she had an iron frame supporting a wooden hull, breech loaded rifles, and could cruise under steam at a maximum of 15 knots. She had a center battery arrangement with an enclosed pilot house on the spar deck.

However, Bosque would be the last ship in the Texas Navy with a wooden hull. In 1881 the legislature more than doubles the size of the Navy, and the naval staff will look to iron and steel for their hulls. As a result, Bosque was the only ship of her class put into service.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 1:00 pm
I love that someone's doing an alternate history with ships of this era. It's so refreshing!

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 4:07 pm
BrockPaine wrote:
I love that someone's doing an alternate history with ships of this era. It's so refreshing!

Agreed! awesome work btw! I'll post soon my Dutch fleet Xd

[Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 12:10 pm
By 1878 the oldest of the wooden hulled ships, the Trinity and Nueces, were worn out from years of refits and laid up in reserve. They were eventually sold in 1879 and 1880, leaving a shortage of vessels in the Texas Navy. To prepare for their loss, Congress authorized a replacement in 1878, the Corvette Colorado. Construction began the following year, and she put to sea in 1881:

[ img ]

Colorado was a radical departure from other ships built for the Texas Navy. Built by the Levingston Shipyard on the Sabine River she was the first vessel completed by a privately owned Texas shipbuilder. She was the first iron-hulled warship, though her decks were still wooden. Her masts were iron, and hollow to allow access to the tops, but again, the top and top-gallant masts were still East Texas pine. Instead of copper sheathing, her bottom was coated in the new anti-fouling paint recently developed. White lead based paint on her uppers turned dark over the iron, giving her a gray appearance.

Here main guns were 6"/30s purchased from the United States, and her secondary battery was 2.25" (57mm) rapid fire Hotchkiss guns that used fixed ammunition (also a first). These weapons used mechanical recoil systems instead of cables and pulleys to put the guns back into battery.

Above all, Colorado was fast. She could make 16 knots under steam, or a similar speed under sail with her engines set for the cruising speed of 12 knots.

But like all ships, she was not without her shortcomings. Her dimensions were as large as the cruiser San Jacinto, so like her cousin the Bosque she was often mistaken for a cruiser. Her wooden decks were vulnerable to shell penetrations. The anti-fouling paint wore off quickly and had to be re-applied or touched up at regular intervals. Accomodations were cramped, a common problem to most Texas Navy ships.

Nonetheless, she gave good service and was joined by three sisters, the Concho, Canadian, and Frio, all built by Levingston.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 6:45 pm
Again for comparison, the Texas Navy from 1876-1885:

[ img ]

The Gunboat classification was added in 1883, they are the smallest Texas Navy vessels. Corvettes are in the middle row; cruisers to the right.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 9:06 pm
I'm really impressed, Redhorse. I had to go back and re-read cus I was gonna ask what happened with the Mexican War (Where so many Civil War Generals got their first taste of combat.)

You mentioned that the American Civil War and French interventions almost lead to war...I presume you mean that, if Texas had gone to war against the US in 1861-1864, she would have allied with the CSA?

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 11:51 pm
Colorado is a beautiful lady, Redhorse.

I, as a rabid Southron, have to wonder if Britain might have found it in their heart to have supported Dixie officially in this timeline as well, having taken such a direct hand in Texan affairs. Two thorns in the side of a developing United States would have, after all, been better than one. ;) Also, what 'interventions' did the French make (if you've thought those out)?

Can't wait to see what develops as Texas comes into the 'Iron and Steel' age.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 668 »

Jump to: