A revisit on the new site:

[ img ]

And a review of her ships:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

And the most recent addition:

[ img ]

The Republic was the second ship in the Texas Navy with steam propulsion, the first being the side-wheel steamer Zavala. Using principles learned from a survey of the USS Princeton, a similar ship in the US Navy, Republic was laid down and completed in the United States, but armed with British Armstrong breech-loading cannon. She replaced the older, worn out flagship Austin.

The Republic was a technological leap for the Texas Navy, and was a symbol of prestige, but she was not well-liked by her crews. Accomodations were cramped; space normally devoted to the crew was consumed by the steam plant. Her screw was drawn up into a space in the stern when asail so as not to increase drag, but the hoisting mechanism was finicky and prone to jamming. Fire was a constant hazard - just before her first refit a cinder blown up the retractable funnel caught the mainmast rigging on fire. Quick action by her crew cut down the mast into the sea and saved the ship.

Many thanks to DP for some of the ideas I used to draw her, most notably the copper plating pattern and planking.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 9th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Glad to see this here at last. Very nice indeed.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 12th, 2010, 1:05 am
In 1859, Construction began on the first of four ships, each bearing the new classification "corvette". They were brigs like their earlier cousins, but had steam propulsion:

[ img ]

[ img ]

The Nueces class was unique for several reasons. First, lessons learned from the Repulblic eliminated most of the flagship's problems. Her internal arrangement was more efficient, the stack was well forward of the mainmast to reduce the fire hazard. The mechanism to raise and lower the screw was more robust and less prone to jamming.

Like the Republic, she and her sister the Trinity made use of Armstrong breech-loaders. But unlike her earlier cousins, all her armament was on the weather deck. Her gun deck was clear and used exclusively for berthing and crew sustainment. As a result, duty aboard the corvettes was much sought after because of the increased comfort.

Nueces and Trinity were built in the United States but the third ship of the class, Sabine, was re-contracted after the outbreak of the American Civil War. Trinity was nearly confiscated on the stocks by the US Navy, which was scrambling to build up her fleet in a short time. As a result the last two ships, Sabine and Angelina, were built in British shipyards. Though their dimensions and armament are the same, Sabine and Angelina are known as the "step-sisters" of the class, since they were rigged differently than the first two.

This was my first attempt at sails. Obviously, there is room for improvement, but I don't think it's too bad for a first try.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 12th, 2010, 1:22 am
Very nice.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 13th, 2010, 2:49 pm
Shortly after the Corvettes Sabine and Angelina were completed in British yards, Texas contracted for a second steam sloop to complement the Republic. Baird and Sons, the same yard that built the CSS Alabama, won the bid for the Campeche. Campeche was named after the battle between two all-sail Texas warships and a Mexican sail-steam warship in which the Texans prevailed (the only known victory of sail over steam). She was commissioned after two years of construction.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Though overshadowed by the flagship Republic, Campeche was far more formidable and bore the new designation "cruiser". Designed to sail long distances, she was capable of 14 knots under full sail. Mexico officially objected to her name, and the French (who were occupying Mexico during this time) frowned upon her near-constant presence off the Mexican coast.

Campeche would also represent the last ship built in a foreign yard until the development of steel-hulled warships. The Navy Yard developed the capacity to assemble warships with iron frames and reinforced wooden hulls. Iron frames, engines, and ordnance were still obtained from other countries, but the timber and construction was conducted entirely within the yard after 1865.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 14th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Size comparison at the waterlines:

[ img ]

I'll do the same for the next 10 year period.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JLDogg
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:59 pm
Very nice ships.
But what is their armament?????
How to see alot more.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 14th, 2010, 9:34 pm
Cannons.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 15th, 2010, 12:09 am
B sides for the new ships, for those interested in armament and dimensions:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I'm available for questions.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: August 15th, 2010, 1:21 am
Sabine and Angelina? Unusual names for warships.

Also where are Campeche's big rifles?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 568 »

Jump to: