Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 8  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 9:49 am
This is a "What if" situation where Australia is more independent of Britain but buys/copies much warships from the "little island"

Some History of the AU

1890's-Independence movement in Australia growing
1901-Australia becomes a Federated Commonwealth, however the King is given very little power.
1906-Signing of the Anglo-Australasian Pact which details Australia's Governorship of New Guinea and Britain's promise to give shipbuilding technology and two capital ships by 1916
1907-Australia begins work on achieving a "80,000 ton navy" by 1916 as part of it's first "Naval Modernization Act"
1914-War breaks out in Europe, Australia quickly seizing German assets in the Pacific
1922-Washington Navy treaty fails to mention Australia, allowing small growth later in the decade
1928-second "Naval Modernization Act" starts
1936-Britain quietly warns Australia of Japan's growing arrogance in the area, spurring a third "Naval Modernization Act"
1939-War breaks out in Europe again, Australia sends ships to help out.
1941-Japan declares war on Britain and America, Australia is quick to respond.
1942-Australia is threatened by Japan's invasion of North New Guinea
1943-Tide of war, in both theaters, changes
1945-War ends, Australia enters a new era of peace

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 10:16 am
A real pleasure to read an AU scenario that makes sense - congratulations Shipmate :D

Yes, I couldn't do better myself (ah, modesty :roll: ). Exempting the Aussie navy from the Washington treaty, or, even better, Australia insisting on its own quota as a sovereign state, that would make sense. Also, by 1936 Australia would be well aware of who the future adversary was, so a big rearmament by then would be essential. When I did the Coffee War, it rested on the assumption that the 'AUS' would be a much bigger economy, and would include New Zealand and New Guinea (as one island).

Good luck with this and I'll be eagerly awaiting developments :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 10:46 am
First Design HMAS Ballarat 1939(still WIP)
[ img ]

Put in Brewster Buffaloes in AU RAAF colours because I am not sure what they would use as aircraft, suggestions?
Nearly finished the service history for this one as well

Thanks Portsmouth Bill :D , not sure on taking New Zealand into Australia though, maybe a cross tasman partnership during the 20's, not sure :?

Also, may I borrow a few of your Australian drawings to either Modify or use?(with proper credits of course! ;) )

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 11:00 am
She's looking good, Rodondo!

The AU timeline sounds like a pretty good one too!
One question, how many capital ships would Australia have?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 11:02 am
Australia (in this AU) would have only 2-3 during the 40 years(2 looking more likely)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 12:00 pm
Gloster Sea Gladiator perhaps instead of the Buffalo? As well as Swordfish perhaps. I must say she is a damn fine looking ship even this early on.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Okay, I'll see if they'll go well. (Dr Who in your sig?)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 12:11 pm
and buffalo is suitable as well, as it is an carrier aircraft and australia had them, IIRC.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 12:23 pm
But they were not wide spread before 1939, maybe later in the war?

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's little Australian AU(1910-1950)Posted: June 10th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Rodondo wrote:
Put in Brewster Buffaloes in AU RAAF colours because I am not sure what they would use as aircraft, suggestions?
The Buffalo is definitely a credible for a pre-war 1939 Australian Navy. The aircraft quickly became outdated though, so not for long. Maybe it could be replaced with an aircraft made under licence, such as the Sea Hurricane (from 1941), Seafire (from 1941/2), F4F Wildcat (from 1940), F6F Hellcat (from 1943)

Also, you would want to look at bomber and torpedo bomber squadrons to make up a complete carrier air group. Aircraft like the Fairey Swordfish (from 1936) and the TBD Devastator (from 1935) would be realistic torpedo bombers. The CAC Wirraway (bomber/attack), SBD Dauntless (from 1940) are examples of potential bomber/attack aircraft. - All dates are approximate -

This being an AU, you can use a bit of artistic license and 'navalise' aircraft designs that never were in real life (I'm thinking P-51 Mustang), or create your own completely.

I'll happily draw/edit you some planes from planebucket if you like. Will you be redrawing the Ballarat again to later-war specs?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 8  [ 77 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: