Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 88 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 186 87 88 89 90 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 15th, 2013, 7:42 pm
:o LOVE the Wilhelmshaven, Ashley...she'd make a great training cruiser!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 15th, 2013, 9:36 pm
Very interesting work! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 15th, 2013, 9:44 pm
Nice work on all those ships. The upgraded Hindenburg is really interesting and the details on the carrier are great! Keep up the good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
BrentD15
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 16th, 2013, 12:57 pm
Wow, I'd never thought I'd see this thread be revived.
And I'm liking the surprise it gave me. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: BC Hindenburg 1942Posted: November 18th, 2013, 5:27 pm
The awaited Hindenburg in 1942 design. New directors, more radar, new atlantic bow, 2cm-aa is now FLAK 38 and some more of them. Many details changed.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 18th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Hmmm...Atlantic bow ok; however, where is the lengthening of the Hindenburg? You're aware (I hope) that she'll not be able to make more than 26-27 knots, since you won't be able to fit a more powerful machinery in her, without lengthening her. It is still way too crammed also. (However, you don't seem to take notice of my advice anyhows, so...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 18th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Replacing the coal firing with oil firing and installing oil tanks instead of coal bunker will bring enough place for high pressure steam propulsion, I think. Even then not much more than 30 kts will be possible. Still enough for 2nd line duties. Lengthening midships could cause instability to the whole ship, a lengthened bow is problematic enough, no engineer likes that.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 18th, 2013, 7:39 pm
I disagree with you on the difficulties. In this case, you're basically towering up all kinds of modern paraphernalia high up, without adequate beam, and thus, subsequent length. And, your armor will no longer be of much value since the top edge of your belt will be so low as to invite WL shell holes in a contest, due to the added topweight.

You're right though, about the second-rate status. It is very much now a second-rate ship, or as the German sailors dubbed the Hannover and Deutschland-classes: "5 Minuten Schiffe".

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: November 18th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Battleship SMS OstpreussenPosted: November 19th, 2013, 9:19 pm
The 'Ostpreussen' was a concurrent design to the 'Helgoland'-class dreadnoughts. But her lesser firepower with only four turrets gave her the nicname of 'the cruiser who wants to play battleship'. She was a sole ship, no other ships of her design were laid up. The mockers got silenced after the battle at Skagerrak strait, where she took minor damage only but was able to hit HMS Marlborough hard. The positioning of all main turrets on centerline was first repeated with the Koenig-class, all predecessors were equipped with wing turrets.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 88 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 186 87 88 89 90 »

Jump to: