Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 22  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 522 »
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 10th, 2011, 5:41 pm
This is the beginnings of an AU between me and APDAF. We're slowly hammering it out.
In this AU, aircraft never took off. The internal combustion engine is going to appear much later, so we're stuck with steam engines till then. It's mostly going to be airships. I may have an Airship carrier.
Its got a slightly ridiculous series of events, but it's just a divergent timeline, so whatever. Anyway, here we go:

The Germano-British Empire
[ img ]
The first signs of the formation of the Germano-British Empire were a series of alliances made in the 1880's, which brought the two nations together for mutual military support. The pressures put upon the two nations by the combined aggressive stances of the French and the Russians against the two major imperialist nations. The signing of the Franco-Russian Alliance in 1892 pushed the two nations even closer together, and they began combining their ship design bureau's together, aiming for a fleet that could function well together if aggression did break out between the two alliance blocs. By 1904, the Royal Navy and the Kaiserliche Marine were essentially indistinguishable in both design and capability, and when they were brought together into one fighting unit, they were building almost almost 50% of the worlds battleships and battlecruisers, compared to only 18% at the hands of the Franco-Russian alliance. This had slipped slightly by 1910, but the two nations still held a significant advantage in fleet size.
The outbreak of war in 1914 began with a dispute between the Austrian nation and partisans in the Balkan's who held Russian support. The involvement of the Austrians brought the Germans into the war, and muttual defence agreements meant the British had no option but to support their allies. It was the beginning of a long and bloody war, and one that would see the combined Germano-British fleets sent into the heart of the battle...

Last edited by HMS Sophia on August 11th, 2011, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 4:07 am
Reconsider your flag! There's NO way the Germans would agree to be so "hidden" away in a national ensign. I'm sorry to have to say this but your flag is simply horrible from a vexiollogical point of view.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 4:09 am
Vexiollogical! Fantastic word, I agree the Germans would not have agreed to such a flag

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 9:00 am
You'd be better off combining the union jack and German Adler in a shield design then adding that to a flag.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 9:55 am
The flag is the biggest sticking point. I nearly replaced all four quarters, but then the Scottish would have got pissy...

What about the adler on a coat of arms in the centre of the union flag?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Right, first go at a ship. The hull is based heavily on the Canopus class, but it's got a completely different superstructure and upper armament...
I know it needs work, but this is my first go at this sort of ship, so I don't really know what I'm doing.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 5:09 pm
barnest2 wrote:
What about the adler on a coat of arms in the centre of the union flag?
Not sure yet. But in that case you should use the Reichsadler of the German Empire and not the Bundesadler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsadler

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 5:40 pm
Cascadia wrote:
Not sure yet. But in that case you should use the Reichsadler of the German Empire and not the Bundesadler.

I did. It's up the top :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 5:54 pm
barnest2 wrote:
Cascadia wrote:

I did. It's up the top :)
I've seen the first post already; it shows the Union Jack with a Bundesadler, which is used by the Federal Republic of Germany.

I ment yuo should use a Reichsadler used during the time of the German Empire. This one e.g.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Germano-British EmpirePosted: August 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm
Oh that one... hmm... It looks hard... I'll have a crack tomorrow and see what happens...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 22  [ 212 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 522 »

Jump to: