Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 23 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page « 121 22 23 24 2556 »
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: May 29th, 2014, 8:23 pm
That is one gorgeous liner! :o

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: May 30th, 2014, 6:47 am
Thanks Kilomuse :)

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: May 31st, 2014, 12:13 pm
Nice looking ship indeed. Glad to see she has a 'proper' livery with a dark hull, even if that does get a bit difficult to maintain down here for long given the sun that often quickly fades them to a rather unglamorous grey.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 9:31 am
Thanks Denodon :)

And now the as promised DDG, the Condingup Class:
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 9:42 am
a few things:
- if you use the M44 aft, why not use the M45 as gun director forward? it was designed for that very same gun.
- the sea cat aft.... any way to have 2 of them, for more all around coverage? right now sea slug and seacat have the same field of fire
- are your funnels ofset? or are there 3/4 of them? it would seem likely that this was the case as, if you have the county class loader installed, the stacks could not go trough this space but had to go around some way.

overall, interesting and nice looking ships. they look balanced and the arnament is spread out over the length of the hull. nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 10:59 am
Hi Rowdy,

For your information, the County Class DDG HMS Kent, is the permanent Training Ship at HMS Excellent on Whale Island in Portsmouth. From memory, they've taken off all her weapons to make more room for accommodation on board.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 11:19 am
Impressive design. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 1:45 pm
Andy is that not HMS Bristol at Whale Island ? HMS Kent was sold for scrap and in 1998 she was towed to India to be broken up.
Nice design Rowdy, she looks good to me mate. :P

Last edited by Bombhead on June 1st, 2014, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 1:46 pm
Thanks guys :)

@ Ace:
- Good point, I'll look into changing it.
- Another good point, perhaps I could switch the Sea Cat with the 40mm mounts amidships?
- The funnels are offset - it's not particularly obvious from the drawing I'll admit but from looking at pictures of the Counties their funnels don't seem to be offset by a great deal?

@ Adenandy - Thanks for the info, I did contemplate removing B turret but I decided to keep it to maintain some war fighting abilities in emergency situations. Maybe I'll draw up another version of her with guns removed as a permanently based training ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 2:31 pm
it seems an good idea to switch the 40mm and the seacat, just watch out for what that does with your director setup :P another option is putting 2 seacats (and 2 M44 directors) on platforms as far outboard as they will go on your hulls width. that is about what the dutch van speijk class had, one at each side of the hangar.
IIRC, the seacat on the counties replaced the 40mm/L70 on a one for one basis, so it might be a bit of an question why the 40mm is on anyways?
re the funnels on the counties: I just looked it up, and the funnels on the counties are on the centerline. the exhausts split up lower deck and join up at the upper level. that is of course possible as well.... do you have the same powerplant as the counties? this might help in that case: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... rplant.png
the county had 2 boilers 4 steam turbines (2 low pressure, 2 high pressure, one set for each shaft) and 4 gas turbines next to each other, so that gives an idea how the uptakes and machinery spaces are set up ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 23 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 121 22 23 24 2556 »

Jump to: