Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 556 »
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 10th, 2011, 1:47 pm
After observing the unrealistic population and GDP numbers for several attempts at AUs, its nice to see believable figures. 2.8 per 1000 in military service, and defense expeditures at 1.9% GDP are entirely sustainable.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 11th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Very nice cruiser, certainly it fits the early 1930s traditions of British cruisers very nicely. I quite like the use of the engine room belt, persumably the magazines have their own internal armouring and of course deck armour. Not too sure on the 4.7in and 3in AA secondaries as a good mix but I've seen much worse ideas. Probably more useful for areas where surface attack is more likely than aerial attack.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 11th, 2011, 3:16 pm
Thank you all for your helpful and kind words :)

@Novice - I tried to keep the armament and armour relatively low for a 'cheap and simple' type cruiser, as their role would primarily see them protecting trade against commerce raiders rather than engaging in fleet actions. They will be followed by a class of larger cruisers more along the lines of the Towns for some added punch 8-)

@Obsydian Shade - I'm always happy to have neighbours, it makes the wide open ocean more 'homely' :lol:

@Redhorse - One of my goals with this AU was to make a country that would fit into the real world without too much squinting of eyes and tilting of heads to imagine, so I'm glad you approve (I also took some hints from your excellent AU too)

@Hood - Thanks, I was aiming for realism :) The secondaries are supposed to be 4in singles and 2pdr AA singles though - I may have used the wrong parts by accident? :?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 11th, 2011, 3:42 pm
No, I can see they are 2pdr singles now.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 15th, 2011, 6:36 am
Welcome fellow British started Colony, the Dracan Commonwealth welcomes the allies, and neighbors, and your AU looks good!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 16th, 2011, 5:26 am
Thanks Nighthunter :)

This little ship disrupts my plan to post in chronological order but such is life :lol: I felt the need to draw a smaller patrol vessel to fill a gap in the 1930's Orbat and this was the result:

[ img ]
[ img ]

It is basically a small patrol/auxiliary anti-submarine vessel for use in coastal waters.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 16th, 2011, 8:15 am
Cute! Is it based on anything from real life?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 16th, 2011, 12:41 pm
Thanks Whyme, it isn't based on anything in particular but I did have the Bathurst Class corvettes and HMAS Vigilant (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1699&p=33207&hilit=customs#p33207) in mind 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 29th, 2011, 10:01 am
The first destroyers for this AU, the Kepwari class:

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: December 29th, 2011, 2:08 pm
Looks rather nice (in plausability wise), thougth you clearly used the British MkIX 4.7 inch mount, but stated in the chart that they would be DP guns, when the mount clearly weren't

For aesthetic tips, I would consider the position and the length of the forecastle break and the size of the funnel. Currently I cannot help to get feeling like the ship is just cutted away from some larger desing... Also, in desing wise, with destroyers of this era, the most important factor is the machinery and its arragments. The single narrow funnel indicates two boiler arragment that RN only managed to get onboard in the late 30's desings from J class onwards...and I got the impression that this is something from early mid 30s? (other navies adopted two boiler use for fleet destroyers only post WWII if even then)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 556 »

Jump to: