Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 26th, 2012, 1:24 pm
I thought I should revive this topic again. Me and denodon working on combining our AUs, I think it's time to blow the dust of this ol' thread again, by posting some ships I've designed the latest week or so, all the time while listening to Ride of the Valkyries. It makes fer good drawing music.

Vaderneriget has been remade. Link: viewtopic.php?p=81471#p81471

And now, on with a heavy cruiser a' ten 8" guns.
The Turnstjerna class heavy cruiser was the second heavy cruiser class built by Gotrige, laid down in 1934. One twin turret stronger than her predecessor, she was a match for any similar ship in the world. Her heavy artillery and comparatively heavy armor came at the price of being relatively slow(31,7 knots). The class consisted of four ships, only one - the Jyllenkärve - was sunk, during night combat in the pacific, where she took the bulk of the punishment of two Japanese heavy cruisers, breaking in two after taking two torpedos, and inumerable shells.
The class was however somewhat top heavy, and their lower speed would put them at a disadvantage in case off a flee-and-chase action.
The three surviving cruisers would serve out the war, and remain in active service until 1960, when they were put to the scrapping block.

[ img ]

And now, two destroyer classes.
The Wapen class destroyer was the result of a long standing desire to match - and surpass - the large destroyers of the IJN and USSR. She mounted six 13cm M/34 dual purpose guns in three twin turrets, excellent surface target guns, but with a low ROF against air targets. The first batch of ships of the class, entering service in 1942, was named after different sharp and blunt weapons(weapons like broadsword, rapier, flail, etc.). The second would bring in different sorts of fire arms and cannons and so on. A class of all in all 44 ships, including the heavily modified mörser(mortar) class, many was lost, partly due to the fact that the hulls were somewhat overloaded, and rather fragile.
[ img ]

The modified Wapen class, the Mörser class was the result of the need of good AA. Very similar to the Japanese Akizuki, they mounted eight 10cm guns, much more effective for DP service, and a reinforced AA of sixteen 40mm M/36, compared to the ten(40mm) on the original Wapen ships. To accomodate for this, the aft torpedo rack was removed, but the fore one was incresed to a quint mount instead of the previous quad.
Just like the original class, however, they were quite fragile, somewhat of a glass sword. Of the 12
Mörser built, only seven survived the war.
Both classes served until the late 60's however, despite their appearant flaws.

[ img ]

Hope you like 'em! :D

Please note that I'm kind of stressed(I'm going to England soon and won't have access to Paint), so the drawings might appear slightly sloppy(mostly the cruiser). I have today and part of tomorrow though, but I felt it was important to post all these ship. I can update them as long as they are posted, but if I update them first I might not be able to post them in time. I'm also working on a CVL, but I don't know when I'll be able to post it.

Last edited by KHT on December 31st, 2012, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 26th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Hum...i like it i like it ;) i'm waiting for the CVs too :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 5:25 am
Excellent work! My only comment would be: Find out ideas for the bridge windows at the Destroyers! This looks a bit ''not cool'' It's something every new guy use.

[Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 8:22 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
Excellent work! My only comment would be: Find out ideas for the bridge windows at the Destroyers! This looks a bit ''not cool'' It's something every new guy use.
Thanks! :D I wanted to make the conning... barrel?( ;) :lol: ) similar to the one on the Djärhv class, but I've updated it slightly now, with rounder windows
Biancini1995 wrote:
Hum...i like it i like it ;) i'm waiting for the CVs too :)
Thank you! :D Here it is:

Seing the need for more carriers by the end of the 30's, Gotrige chose to turn two light cruisers just being laid down into CVL. AS the first two was half-way rebuilt, another four was put aside for conversion as well. The original class of light cruisers ended up at nil, all having been turned into CVL.
The first ships of the
Nymark class, all named after different parts of Nymark, the Gotrige colonies in America, entered service in 1941. The four other ships slowly got into service, with the last being commissioned in August 1943.
Good for 33 knots and with an air wing of 28 planes, they would typicaly either follow the carrier forces, or operate in pairs with a destroyer screen for close protection. The
Grønland would often accompany the Sverkre Grip, leading to a friendly rivalry between the crews.
The cardinal strength of these ships would, however, remain their number and speed. After the war they would quickly be outmatched by the larger carriers having rolled about. They would be either sold, scrapped or expended as target ships during the 1950's.

Hope you like it! :D
[ img ]

Last edited by KHT on July 27th, 2012, 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 8:30 pm
you are not going to be able to put an hangar in that hull. the funnel looks very small, and the deck very low....
also, the view from the bridge is gonna be quite bad

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 8:36 pm
Yea! Very well KHT, indeed, it makes you Destoyer look even more pro!

[Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 8:42 pm
Love your work KHT keep it up!
I do have to agree with ace on this issue though, even if the future ships will have a higher flight deck/hanger I don't think the current setup can work even if it is later rectified in other ships

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 9:01 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
you are not going to be able to put an hangar in that hull. the funnel looks very small, and the deck very low....
also, the view from the bridge is gonna be quite bad
What kind of dimension should the hull be?
I'll be seeing to the other issues when time presents itself. Could pose some trouble, but I'll do my best!
Hrm, about the bridge... the "indoor" bridge is very secondary. Mostly, commanding officers would be directing from the open bridge.
Trojan wrote:
Love your work KHT keep it up!
I do have to agree with ace on this issue though, even if the future ships will have a higher flight deck/hanger I don't think the current setup can work even if it is later rectified in other ships
Thanks! :D As said above, I'll be sure to take this into the calculation for the V2.
ALVAMA wrote:
Yea! Very well KHT, indeed, it makes you Destoyer look even more pro!
Thanks you! :D I do feel the most comfortable with destroyers, actually. Ironic, considering they were subject for much confusion initialy. :)

To all: Man, I feel like a newbie again... It's very nice to get some new challenges though. ;)

Last edited by KHT on June 27th, 2012, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 27th, 2012, 9:05 pm
the hull is ok, but you should put some construction roughly 'hangar size' on top of the hull, because you can't put it in the hull girder itself because of strenght decks and machinery.
the problem with the bridge is the fact that it is that far at the stern. that huge flat deck blocks your view in any direction except to the water sie of the bridge.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: June 28th, 2012, 9:51 am
I guess the deck will be rather wet at heavy seas and you're missing hanger of some sort onboard.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »

Jump to: