Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
KHT
Post subject: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 19th, 2012, 11:28 pm
Another multi-ship thread. Not as much to post numerous designs as to hone my post-war designing, typicaly designs fitting into the 50's
There will mostly be destroyers and FACs in this thread. I have very little knowledge of post-WW2 designs, and would like some advice for it.

VERY WIP
So this is the first design. Essentially a "Super-Halland", with four 140mm fully automatic guns in twin turrets, four 57mm M/50 in twin turrets, and four 40mm M/48, along with a torpedo broadside of twelve 533mm torps. With this comes a speed of 35 knots and a side armour of 25mm and 75mm in turrets*. She is made to outmatch gunnery destroyers thanks to her armor and heavier artillery, but still posses a heavy punch against larger opponents. I would mostly like to know if I've made some extreme screw-ups, so that I won't have to remedy them when the drawing is done.
[ img ]
*These numbers are very preliminary, and might probably be changed.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 20th, 2012, 6:02 am
Why do you have two anti-submarine bomb throwers crowded together so near main gun armament?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 20th, 2012, 6:10 am
By the 1950s you start to see fixed internal torpedo tubes (as on DL-1). This will slightly reduce the space taken up by the mounts.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 20th, 2012, 6:14 am
And because I anticipate this being asked, they would simply be represented as circles within the hull itself.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 20th, 2012, 7:26 am
klagldsf wrote:
Why do you have two anti-submarine bomb throwers crowded together so near main gun armament?
Well, I saw it on the Halland class(http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... alland.png), but I can fix that. Any tips for arranging them? Should I drop one or place one somehwere else?
TimothyC wrote:
By the 1950s you start to see fixed internal torpedo tubes (as on DL-1). This will slightly reduce the space taken up by the mounts.
Hm... I'll be looking into it. Those destroyers I'm typicaly inspired by (Swedish Post-was destroyers such as Halland, Östergötland and Öland)kept their old style rotating centre tubes, but i'll see how it should be done.

Thanks for the advice! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 21st, 2012, 8:35 pm
Here's the first draft of the Leinonet class DL. I hold some (probably presumptious) hopes this drawing will gradute me to the "adult"-forum. I'm actually quite happy with it, and hope you all are.

So, the obligatory background story.
After WW2 it was judged that the era of the battleship, and by extension, the CDS, was over. All of the CDS had been mothballed by the end of the war, and the flagship of the navy was no longer a big-gun ship. A new focus towards the l'jeune ecolé was introduced, and as part of this, it was decided that the post-war navy should mainly consist of a force of large, strong destroyers, with any older cruisers providing different support roles.
To lead these destroyer squadrons, the
Leionet class DL was designed. It was very large for a destroyer(a bit above 5 700 tonnes), and an expensive design, but also one of the best ship designs built for the ErRn. With an armament of four 140mm/55 M/51, a new fully automatic design capable of almost 30 rpm AA fire, she would outclass any other destroyer she would face, and have the armour to boot. A hefty torpedo battery was installed(two quint. mounts), and early plans was to arm them with SSMs, though this wouldn't happen untill the late 60's.
Entering service in 1956 and 57,
Leionet and her sistership the Kronorna would soon prove themselves as capable ships worthy of their positions as flag ships.
Being very costly to drive, however, the ships would rarely be fitted at the same time(happening only four times during their 30-years long career), and would be retired in 1983 and 85.
Leionet was sold for scrap, but Kronorna was preserved, and stands to this day as the pride of the Erikrike Maritime Museum*.
*Yes, I know, highly unlikely that such a small nation would be able to preserve such a ship, but I really wanted to save one!
Hope you like it! :D
[ img ]

EDIT: Further updated.

Last edited by KHT on May 29th, 2012, 6:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 12:19 am
Very handsome lines you've got there! Good thing that you're still using deck mounted torps, since that was what the swedes did too.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 11:32 am
Thanks! :D
Yes, I thought it was the more fitting arrangement. It felt more scandinavian somehow.
Anything specific to improve?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 1:47 pm
I'd change the boat out to a motor boat. I've refined the Swedish ones, so I'll be happy to pm you the ones I've got and you can choose for yourself! Otherwise it's a rather smart, and, as it seems quite a roomy design! If I'd be Sven Andersson ( a legendary Swedish defense minister in the 1950s and 60s!) I'd procure six of this class!

Last edited by bezobrazov on May 22nd, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Erikrike Post-war combatants.Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 1:47 pm
Agreed, a nice sleek design.

Will they get an upgrade with SSM's and SAM's?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: